May 03, 2024, 08:37:59 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

clutch questions

Started by chipthedonkey, April 18, 2020, 09:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW113

Nothing like a mechanical mistress to keep a guy broke!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hossamania

A homemade custom paint job doesn't cost much.....
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

JW113

And that's ALL I'm going to do. Just a rattle can paint job, and that is it. Forever.

:hyst:

-JW

Hossamania

Quote from: JW113 on April 21, 2020, 09:03:04 AM
And that's ALL I'm going to do. Just a rattle can paint job, and that is it. Forever.

:hyst:

-JW

Umm, yup. And new wheels. But that's it! Well handlebars, but they don't really count. And a seat, and then I'm done. Really.
Hmm, chrome forks would look good...

JW113

I don't need anything except this ashtray and that's it and that's the only thing I need. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one - wait, I need this!

(just wait until he gets his first Harley....)

-JW

Hossamania

JW, I love that movie, very underrated as far as I'm concerned.
The Jerk, for anyone not familiar. Step right up and win some crap!

JW113

And consider the last time you saw a bone stock Harley-Davidson other than on a showroom floor, guess that makes us all a bunch of Jerks, eh?
:wink:

Speaking of showroom floor, and the boutique, "step right up and buy some crap. We've got chrome covers to go over your other chrome covers, and more live to ride ride to live embossed crap than you can possibly imagine! And if you pay us lots of money, you can wear all this fancy designer HD clothing and advertise for us!"

Oops, didn't mean to disparage the MoFoMoCo. I meant all that respectfully, of course!
:potstir:

Let's see, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, clutches. Given proper maintenance and minimal abuse, stock EVO and TC clutches can outlast the engine and possibly the transmission. Now there is some over-engineering for ya!

-JW

Hossamania

I burned up one clutch when the rear brake hung up. That's about it. I had to replace my clutch on another bike due to grooves being worn into the hub from extremely hard riding for 80,000 miles, and blued a few of the steels. Clutch still held fine.
Both instances not really the clutch's fault.

JW113

My '91 was pushing 180,000 last I had it. The first 120K on the stock 80", then the next 60K on a pretty heavily flogged 89". Never had a clutch issue.

-JW

Racepres

Quote from: JW113 on April 21, 2020, 12:57:30 PM
I don't need anything except this ashtray and that's it and that's the only thing I need. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one - wait, I need this!

(just wait until he gets his first Harley....)

-JW

Some papers????

chipthedonkey

Turns out I'm lucky in a lot of ways.  When my uncle got this bike going last year he did a lot to it since it had been sitting for a long time.  So there's not a lot left me.  That still don't mean I didn't sit on a milk box for a half hour in the garage after riding tonight trying to figure out what else it could need.

I've been reading about things to do.  That's probably not a smart thing.  I know what my next thing is after I get the lights on.  My bike has got rode a lot the least year.  My next thing is I want a windshield.  I think that will make it so much better to ride.  So now I'm watching for something called a fast detachable windhsield.  May be back to mac and cheese again for a couple weeks.

guido4198

Take a look at a Windvest for a quick attach/detach windshield. I put one on my 1985 FXRS in 2000 on the day I left for Bikeweek, Daytona (RIDING from central Nebraska). My idea was to put it on for long trips, leave it off otherwise. I hadalready ridden the bike 125,000 mi so I had a pretty good feel for it, without a windshield of any kind. On the Windvest..two allen bolts are all you have to deal with to put it on or take it off. The brackets can stay on the bike and not detract too awful much.
That was "The Plan".  I wound up riding 4,000 mi. in 6 days with the Windvest on the bike. Pretty good "shakedown" for a new piece of equipment. The ride South out of Nebraska bucked some pretty strong headwinds for an entire day and had me wondering about the windshield but after I got home...it never came off.
20 yrs later...still riding the same bike, WITH THE WINDVEST in place.
That's my real-life experience...(not opinion, internet BS or magazine review).
Others may differ.

hbkeith

Moneys tight for ya , look on ebay for nice used windshield

chipthedonkey

I did check out ebay this morning.  Found some kits called quick detach that have these slick chrome clamps that just go around the tubes.  Will check out the windvest thing too.  Not something I have to do today though so it's ok to watch ebay for a deal. 

Tracking number says my lights show up today!

chipthedonkey

Got all my LED lights installed today.  No help.  Works good and looks cool.  I didn't know what the little qualizer box would do so tried the lights without it first just to see.  Stuff got flashy weird.  Put the little box in and not only does everything work the lights in the back actually work better.  More lights on as tail lights now.  Thank you again to everyone that helped with the clutch.