April 26, 2024, 08:03:25 PM

News:

Baker DD6 or OD6 ???

Started by Hendogg, May 11, 2020, 02:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hendogg

May 11, 2020, 02:34:44 PM Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 08:06:25 PM by Hendogg
Second DD6 is popping out of third gear probably the dogs are worn out again and it gets stuck in 6th might be a bent shift fork or shiftfork rod. twin cam 98 inch kitpulls about 123 ft/lbs of torque so it's not a monster build but it's on the cusp as far as DD6 goes
Some people think that the OD6 can handle more torque, one of my friends tells me that he sees a lot of OD6s  fail more than DD6 what are your thoughts?
Baker doesn't do the 12 Step Program anymore, they do trade-ins I'm thinking of getting the  OD6 but I'm not sure . Everyone knows that the
1-3 on the DD6 are straight cut gears, I just don't know why it won't hold up.
My friend Ron say the DD6 is a good design, so maybe it has to do with manufacturing or heat treatment  who knows?
Part of me is willing to pull the trigger with the OD6 and get the stock/shorter primary chain  , engine sprocket and different adjustment shoe
and the different oil spout the fits with the thicker bearing plate of the OD6
OR go with a THIRD DD6 and reuse all my current stuff
Trying to figure out the pros and cons
Meanwhile short shifting 3rd to avoid the popping out and sometimes not being able to downshift from 6th gear is a total PITA.
:banghead:

rking1550

OD6 is the way to go with  a strong motor. When I bought mine that's what Baker told me. I have a 120" 135 hp/tq. Baker said the DD6 wasnt strong enough and to go with the OD6. 
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

jmorton10

It says right on the Baker site that the OD6 is stronger than the DD6.

Of course the Grudgebox is the one you want for a hot motor.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

prodrag1320

jmorton10

HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Ohio HD

Quote from: jmorton10 on May 11, 2020, 04:24:02 PM
It says right on the Baker site that the OD6 is stronger than the DD6.

Of course the Grudgebox is the one you want for a hot motor.

~John

Grudgebox won't fit in a five speed bike.

Eglider05

I was running a little low on funds when I built my 120" so I bought a used SE gear set. It's been bullet proof.

Rick

kd

You're not riding it hard enough Rick.  :hyst:  :hyst:
KD

Pirsch Fire Wagon

100 or less - DD6
101 or higher - OD6

I have been running a DD6 for about 10 years on a 95" with Heads and Flat Tops 103 HP 108 Tq and NEVER had an issue.

I have installed perhaps 25 DD6's and the same for OD6 and a few Grudgebox's just recently. Only one comeback because of a Gasket Failure at the Door which I did mess up and used the old one by mistake - My fault!

I do know of (heard) some have had an issue with 3rd (may not have been 3rd - I'm old) a while back because of a Bearing issue, but as I understand Baker repaired those free of charge.

You're probably better selling the DD6 outright. Unless the trade in (or up) is a good deal. That being said, let them know the troubles you've had and you will get a bigger discount.
Tom

Eglider05

Quote from: kd on May 14, 2020, 03:52:42 PM
You're not riding it hard enough Rick.  :hyst:  :hyst:

I used to whip it pretty good, not as much now but it sure is fun when I do.

Rick