May 17, 2024, 12:02:41 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Another bad American Elite

Started by tbird, May 23, 2020, 08:46:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbird

Just changed out my riding friends front tire. Tire was a American Elite front, cords were broke about 1/3 of way around.  This is the second American elite in the past year and a half that I have had to change due to this.   Replaced with a Michelin.  No more Dunlops for this cat!

bobrk1

How  many  miles  did  tire  have ?  Been  running  them  past  few years  no  problem  want  to  know  what  to  look  for .

tbird

About 12,000 miles.  A 17" bagger tire should last about double that.

james r

2015 FLHR,
      40,000, Miles  Mostly On American Elites, OEM Size
    2010 FLHR
            57,000, Mostly on American Elites ,OEM Size
      One Flat, A Screw,
    No Problems !!

Hossamania

No problems for me in at least 50,000 miles of running them on two different bikes.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

PoorUB

No problems here too. Around 150,000 miles with AE's, and another 50,000 with Elite III's. Never ran anything else, no resson too!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Justpassingas

Only problem I had with AE's was I had one front tire developed radial cracks in sidewall and replace it at about 10K...other then that no problems on two bikes with about 150K combined
For Duty and Humanity

Rusticwater

Support the Maine lobster industry

PoorUB

Quote from: Nastytls on May 23, 2020, 09:06:42 AM
Dunlop would never get a penny of my money.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rideapart.com/articles/244725/goodyear-claims-d402-tire-is-not-faulty-wont-issue-recall/amp/

Not taking it lightly, but 5 deaths and 22 injuries and probably the most popular motorcycle tire out there, the 402. Just think of the numbers put on new Harleys, and many riders just keep going back to the dealer and having them put back on. I don't know when Harley first started using the 402 but in the last twenty years there has to be at least  2.5 million or more sold just on new Harleys. Then add a few more for the guys that keep using them and you probably have five million tires. Pretty good odds I would say. Also, IMO, the average motorcycle rider is terrible at checking air pressure it their tires. I know I think about it once in a while and I should do it more often. The deaths and injuries above I would bet the better portion are from neglecting to check there tires. Even if a bad one slips through once in a while, which will happen with any brand, that is still pretty good odds.

hattitude

Quote from: PoorUB on May 25, 2020, 08:46:47 AM
Quote from: Nastytls on May 23, 2020, 09:06:42 AM
Dunlop would never get a penny of my money.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rideapart.com/articles/244725/goodyear-claims-d402-tire-is-not-faulty-wont-issue-recall/amp/

Not taking it lightly, but 5 deaths and 22 injuries and probably the most popular motorcycle tire out there, the 402. Just think of the numbers put on new Harleys, and many riders just keep going back to the dealer and having them put back on. I don't know when Harley first started using the 402 but in the last twenty years there has to be at least  2.5 million or more sold just on new Harleys. Then add a few more for the guys that keep using them and you probably have five million tires. Pretty good odds I would say. Also, IMO, the average motorcycle rider is terrible at checking air pressure it their tires. I know I think about it once in a while and I should do it more often. The deaths and injuries above I would bet the better portion are from neglecting to check there tires. Even if a bad one slips through once in a while, which will happen with any brand, that is still pretty good odds.

:agree:

Boe Cole

My AE's lose about one pound/week.  I check the pressure almost every time before I ride and that has been my observation.  Always stay within a pound or so of recommended pressure.  Even then, the tires get hot as I once found out when I rode to BikeWeek and parked in my buddy's garage.  He has put a coating on the floor and it stuck to my tires over night.  Took the coating right off the floor.  The tires were properly inflated but they do get hot!!!
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Blazing Saddles

No issues running E 3s and now E 4s.

92flhtcu

BOE, all tires get hot, underinflated, even hotter
at least 100k on American Elites here, no issues. If you are losing 1psi a week, there is an issue with either a puncture, bead or valve. Or its always cold where you live.....
Need a bigger garage

Hossamania

1 psi per week? I'd take that. Not a big deal. They should be checked at least every two weeks anyway.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

KrustyKush

I just installed my second set of AE on my 2018 RGU at almost 33k.  Never a problem with the AE.  I install myself on a NoMar, balance on a static jig.  The tires go on easily and beads seat right away.  Never an air leak.  They can go as far as 20k on my bike, but are getting ragged by 15k so I usually replace them at that time.  Most riding is 2-up, highway cruising with frequent twisty runs.  SoCal hot weather.  Winter rains.  Never a problem.

scott7d

That's sad to hear. AE's have been my go-to tire for the last 4 years/100,000 miles. I'm always interested to learn root causes of these situations.
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

PoorUB

Back to the OP's comments. I run nothing but Dunlop AEs on my Harley, never had any problems. I have a buddy that runs nothing but AEs too.

My BMW came with Michelins and replaced them with Continentals, I wouldn't run Michelins again!

calif phil

I have probably sold 1000 American Elite tires, never a problem with them or the old 402's   Now, if you want to talk problem tires. I would not put the ones that start with an M and  are made in Brasil on my lawn mower. 

hattitude

I had the Dunlop D408F tire on the front and D407T tire on the rear of my '16 Bagger..

I bought the bike used, so I don't know the actual mileage on them. I have put 10K miles on the bike since I bought it... both had good tread left, but the front had cracks forming near the rim/bead area... one crack was starting to look ugly..

I did an internet search and found the D408F tire had numerous complaints filed with the NHTSA for sidewall cracking..

I replaced them with a set of Dunlop American Elites... used them before and never had an issue...

rhuff

Ran Dunlop 402's on my 2003 for 85K and AE for 20K and neve an issue.  I was never really pleased with the tire life, but I tried a set of Metzeler and Pirelli in there somewhere too and didn't really see a difference.  I feel like the old frame touring bikes just chewed up tires for some reason.

tdrglide

Well the AE's must be popular because I'm trying to find a rear MT90B17 bw and keep finding "out of stock". At least around here. Checked DK too, also out of stock  :nix:

PoorUB

Are you looking for the correct size? I don't find a MT90B17?? What motorcycle?

Ohio HD

Quote from: hattitude on June 03, 2020, 07:41:31 AM
I had the Dunlop D408F tire on the front and D407T tire on the rear of my '16 Bagger..

I bought the bike used, so I don't know the actual mileage on them. I have put 10K miles on the bike since I bought it... both had good tread left, but the front had cracks forming near the rim/bead area... one crack was starting to look ugly..

I did an internet search and found the D408F tire had numerous complaints filed with the NHTSA for sidewall cracking..

I replaced them with a set of Dunlop American Elites... used them before and never had an issue...

2009 Touring bikes that had the D407F on the front, there was a factory service bulletin. They replaced them with D408F. I never had issues with the D408F on mine.

Coyote

Quote from: tdrglide on June 03, 2020, 03:52:39 PM
Well the AE's must be popular because I'm trying to find a rear MT90B17 bw and keep finding "out of stock". At least around here. Checked DK too, also out of stock  :nix:

Looks like they quite making them.

Quote from: PoorUB on June 03, 2020, 04:26:33 PM
Are you looking for the correct size? I don't find a MT90B17?? What motorcycle?