April 25, 2024, 07:46:03 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

oem saddle bags

Started by roadkingdresser, June 23, 2020, 10:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

just picked up a set of OEM fiberglass bags for a 65'ish shovelhead. need to find a key was wandering about the key for them. were they all keyed the same or no?
roadkingdresser

roadkingdresser

sorry these may be earlier they have the fold down latch with the lock in the foldown latch.
roadkingdresser

Hossamania

I'm assuming they were keyed to the bike (wouldn't make much sense to have all bags use the same key, but sillier things happen). I would think a locksmith should be able to set you up.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

JW113

:agree: What he said. I bought a set of knock off Chinese hard bags for my Road King (which turned out to be very nice by the way) and had my local lock dude key them to the ignition. And this is with these new "vending machine" round keys. So if that is possible, I think it'd be a cakewalk for a standard key. Locksmiths even have complete lock assemblies, so maybe drop the saddlebags and bike ignition key off with the locksmith, and have him call you when it's done?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

roadkingdresser

the latch on these bags are no more than a 1/4" inch thick. there is no way for them to be keyed like the bike. the key for them look like an old jewelry box lid. that's why i ask if by chance if they were all keyed the same.
roadkingdresser

JW113

A picture is worth a thousand words. 1/4" thick, as in the little two prong "latch and key" used on the old tool boxes?

I think what I was suggesting is to replace the latch assembly with one that can worth is the ign key. If you want something like that. Or not.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

roadkingdresser

no, what I want to do is keep the original latches on them.
roadkingdresser

crock

Had a 65 Pan Head and it used a little bitty key. Didn't have a key for them but a buddy had one and it worked so they may be all keyed very similar and being 50 plus years worn one key fits all. Might chime in on the pan Head feed as someone there may know ore have one
Crock

Racepres

I have a set of Bags with that fold down latch...and yes, about anything resembling a key works... especially the old cheap, suitcase keys.. Mine works excellent with an old Yamaha key of some sort.. No Idea where it came from... outta my junk stash certainly..

roadkingdresser

Thanks guys .i went on the pan section and rite off the bat guy told me about a key on ebay. waiting for it to come on monday. i thought about trying to make one looks kinda simple but the guy had 5 so now he's got 4. thanks again  :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
roadkingdresser