News:

jetting

Started by CAPT BOB 49, November 12, 2008, 04:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CAPT BOB 49

how too check for the proper jetting on my  883
CAPT BOB 49

02xl1200c

Your best bet is to put a fresh set of spark plugs in (remember to gap them correctly) and ride the bike for a hundred miles or so.  Pull the plugs out and see what they look like.  Or you could take pictures and post them on here.  Make sure you tell us which plug was from the front and which one was from the back.  Does your bike run badly? Why are you concerned with jetting?
Ken in Western MD

2002 XL1200C 94.5 HP

hdsporty481

your jetting from the factory if it has not been changed should be 42 slow and about 170 main i would put in a 45  slow if you know how  that would ricten it up a bit i run a 45 slow and a 190 main  but its a little beefed up a bit  your plugs should be a tanish brown  not white  white would mean your a little lean    im trying to think of a good colar to compare mabee like a chest nut brown   they come realy lean from the factory to make the epa happy most change the jets  the 45 and 170 is a good starting point for you good luck ride safe sporty481

CAPT BOB 49

Quote from: hdsporty481 on November 12, 2008, 06:25:42 PM
your jetting from the factory if it has not been changed should be 42 slow and about 170 main i would put in a 45  slow if you know how  that would ricten it up a bit i run a 45 slow and a 190 main  but its a little beefed up a bit  your plugs should be a tanish brown  not white  white would mean your a little lean    im trying to think of a good colar to compare mabee like a chest nut brown   they come realy lean from the factory to make the epa happy most change the jets  the 45 and 170 is a good starting point for you good luck ride safe sporty481
thank u the bike came from las vagas i curius if the alatute was differnt  there thank u again ill check the color of the plugs
CAPT BOB 49

andyxlh

Hello!
I have 45/180 on my converted 883-1200 with Andrews V2 cams. The stock jetting is usually lean, particularly if the bike has a hi flo air cleaner and pipes fitted. If you go to the sportster web site - www.sportster.org - they have a good tech section which discusses jetting, how to do it and what sort of sizes you might need.
If you want to check you plugs, do replace with new, but to get a decent reading you need to run the bike hard - wind it right out in third or fourth on a long straight and then kill the engine at max revs and coast in. This will give you a good reading for the main jet from plug colour. If it is running rich you can usually feel the engine balk and stumble when you roll on the throttle fast and hard - the cylinder gets flooded. running lean is much worse for the engine - you can sometimes hear 'pinging' and backfires on over-run.
cheers
Andy
Sydney
www.youfreeweb.com/andysharleys
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

Vegas_Charger_Fan

Las Vegas is 1800 ft. above sea level. What is the altitude where you live?

Booey420

I have 45/180 jets.I have the Vance & Hines staightshots and the Sceamin Eagle air intake.I tried 170 and 190 but it ran better with 180.The jets are really easy to replace.After doing it 3 times I can do it in about 30 minutes.