May 01, 2024, 06:08:55 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

TTS, can I do it myself?

Started by hrchdog, May 26, 2009, 04:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrchdog

Wanting to install a 2-1 exhaust, looking at the supertrapp supermeg and a SE heavy breather. I know I will need a tuner after the install and am looking at getting the TTS from Herko, i've downloaded the manual from the tts site and been reading it but i'm not sure I understand it enough to make the adjustments. I've worked on carbed bikes for years but this is my first injected bike, do you guys think I could do it? I have an 09 FLHX, if I screw it up and the wife can't ride i'm dead.

Ram

If you have skills in using your pc, such as saving files, installing programs, performing system updates ect...(preferably a laptop) and have system admin rights to the pc.

And you can read the TTS Mastertune directions and execute them as written. It is fairly simple. Additionally if you do run into a glitch their is additional help a phone call away from Herko, or you can go full bore and pose a question on not only this site but a hand full of others as well. So your not with out help. May not be quite instant help like a neighbor next door, but help non-the less!

I'm doing the same, so you have company if you chose this route. Mine is slightly a bit different though, I'm doing an additional modification to my bike which is an '06 FLHRI Road King. I've done the 2 into 1 (RS Racing LSR Black Hole Quiet pipes, and SE Air Filter) and by adding o2's for expanding programing capabilities of my '06 to that of an '07 with closed loop capabilities.

How ever, (disclaimer) I don't know what your level of experiences are with computers, or mechanical or electrical. Risks are involved and if you don't feel up to the task or get in over your head, you can take to an indy for assistance after the fact or before.
'06 FLHRI Road King, ULTRA dress, o2's, TTS tune, LSR 2-1 Black Holes quiet pipe

hrchdog

The manual says to do the tuneing runs on a closed course, I don't have one available so what kind of road do I need?

Tre_11 FLHX

Just get out and ride, smooth throttle for 30 minutes or so.  Not hard to do.  John (Herko) or others on this board can assist. Happy tuning.

Mike
11 103 FLHX-TW555 cams,10.5:1, FM 2-1-2 ex, FM heads, VPC, JP mufflers, PV tuner

nc-renegade

Quote from: hrchdog on May 26, 2009, 06:03:30 PM
The manual says to do the tuneing runs on a closed course, I don't have one available so what kind of road do I need?

They have to say that from a liability standpoint.  Use any road you have available that you can run the bike through the different throttle, RPM and load ranges.
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

Scramjet

I find the best tuning on country roads and interstates with some good hills.  It is safer.  I go back and forth between exits to ensure no speed traps (just in case I accidentally exceed the speed limit  :teeth:).  The up hill and down hill (with both high throttle and low throttle) helps fill all the cells in the upper right (high throttle, low RPM) and lower left (low throttle, high RPM).

B
07FLHX 107", TR590, D&D, 109HP/112TQ
06FLSTN, 95", SE211, Cycle Shack 91HP/94TQ

hrchdog

Do you ever use sixth gear during a vtune?

FLTRI

Quote from: hrchdog on May 27, 2009, 03:05:15 PM
Do you ever use sixth gear during a vtune?
Absolutely! You use 'em all.
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open