April 26, 2024, 05:17:28 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

On the road, bike all of a side. Started blowing oil

Started by Johnwesley, July 19, 2020, 06:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnwesley

Have a Jim's 116 that has been running fine for years. Just started blowing oil out of the head breathers. Left on a 8,000 mile trip and just today it's dumped a quart and a half. When stoped oil was running out of the breather. It's still 5 speed and as long as I keep it under 70 it's ok. Get it to 80 and it's blowing oil. So I'm on back roads running 65 trying to keep it together. Sure could just some thoughts on what's going on.

Thanks.
05 FXD superglide,98",10.6,S&S585, HPI 55/58,
WFO Larry's cnc2+, supermeg,120hp

Ohio HD

Breathers may be weak, torn, stuck, ??  One or more cylinders has blow by and is adding extra pressure to the crankcase.

Time do perform inspections, check leak down, etc.

kd

:agree:  ..... and do a suck and blow test on the breather lines.
KD

PoorUB

how is it running otherwise? Low on power? Sumping? Scavenge oil pump failing? I would get 'er home!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Johnwesley

Quote from: PoorUB on July 19, 2020, 07:12:37 PM
how is it running otherwise? Low on power? Sumping? Scavenge oil pump failing? I would get 'er home!

Seems to run ok, it's pinging now over 3200rpms. I ass/u/me it's because of the oil being sucked in.

Coff 06

Not saying there may be any problems,but my 98" build with the 5spd will push oil out of the breather hoses when I run over 75mph.Keep it around 72-73 and everything is fine.Start running up around 80mph and it makes one hell of a mess.Need more gears 👍           Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

PoorUB

Geez, my 95" in my 2005 would run over 100 MPH until the tank was empty, fill up then do it again.

chipthedonkey

Quote from: Coff 06 on July 20, 2020, 09:50:37 AM
Not saying there may be any problems,but my 98" build with the 5spd will push oil out of the breather hoses when I run over 75mph.Keep it around 72-73 and everything is fine.Start running up around 80mph and it makes one hell of a mess.Need more gears 👍           Coff 06

That would actually worry (and probably annoy) me a little.  Checking breathers for function and doing a leakdown test to see if the engine would tell me anything. 

Hossamania

Quote from: 2Lane on July 20, 2020, 11:20:20 AM
Quote from: Coff 06 on July 20, 2020, 09:50:37 AM

That would actually worry (and probably annoy) me a little.  Checking breathers for function and doing a leakdown test to see if the engine would tell me anything.

I agree. I cruise at 80 mph often on my 95" five speed, often run at 90 and 100 mph, and never have any blow-by, over 100,000 miles on the motor. To the OP, if it worked fine from the beginning, and now all of a sudden it doesn't, something is wrong and needs addressing, sooner rather than later.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

04 SE Deuce

If the engine is mechanically sound it's possible there is a leak (gasket/seal) that is sucking in enough air to push oil out...base gasket, dipstick etc. 

JW113

Same here, my 113" with 50K on it doesn't use or blow a drop of oil, even at 100+. Something has to be wrong there dude.

Hope you make it home OK johnwesley.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Johnwesley

It's dad's bike. He stopped at a dealer and they gave him the oil pump is going out. So we are taking him one of my bikes and Hauling his to C&C they'll get him hooked up and fixed.

Thanks for all the help and advice

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hillside Motorcycle

If that JIMS(S/E also) crank in buggered, that could do it also.
Sounds like you'll know soon.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

snowangel

Johnwesley

Quote from: snowangel on August 23, 2020, 05:33:48 AM
What did you find out?

No answers yet, at the dealership waiting for some info. The is a noise in the motor they haven't figured out yet. Their belief is the o-ring on the oil pump but hasn't been verified yet. I'll let ya'll know when I have a firm answer.

PoorUB

:wtf:
The bike has been at the dealer for a month and they don't know what is wrong yet?!

It should be fixed by now!

BJB

Quote from: PoorUB on August 26, 2020, 09:45:36 AM
The bike has been at the dealer for a month and they don't know what is wrong yet?!

No doubt and thus the reason to do your own work if at all possible.

Johnwesley

Quote from: PoorUB on August 26, 2020, 09:45:36 AM

It's dads bike and he has his favorite back so no rush on the RK. The dealer knows as much and will get to it when they get some tables cleared up. Owner is a friend if the bike was needed it would be done ASAP. What dealer would deliver the bike from Iowa to Arkansas no charge when done.  :wink:

Burnout

It's either detonation or a pump issue.

Since it's speed related I'll take "Detonation, for 500 Alex".
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Johnwesley

Quote from: Burnout on September 01, 2020, 09:36:41 PM
It's either detonation or a pump issue.

Since it's speed related I'll take "Detonation, for 500 Alex".

We will see for sure, but it is a a low ccp motor 10.1:1 sns 585. I need to call and find out, but I've been on the road and haven't  had an Opportunity.

Johnwesley

got word on the bike today, the issues weren't readily available so they had to dig in. Several issues with the motor 1st the piston to cylinder clearance was outside of spec (0.004). The breathers didn't have  the foam installed in them and last but not related to oil mist is the vavle springs were hitting. The oil pump was good all O-rings in good shape and the rods were good. So to get it back right the heads need to be radiused for the springs and new pistons cylinders. Some times having an engine built just for the way you ride bites you in the butt.