April 25, 2024, 08:05:48 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

He's back !!!

Started by skeets, August 18, 2020, 11:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeets

Hello boys and girls, yes Im back, it has been a long time. Anyways I want to toss out a question. As time and age and well a lot of limitations have taken their tole on this old body, and loosing my riding partner to cancer. I was thinking about what to do with LIl red,, well the idea of a 3 wheeler hit me, so I am wondering who has gone this route and what troubles they have found putting one together, good points bad points,, you know all that stuff. Let it fly boys and girls
Am fear nach gleidh na hairm san t sith, cha bhi iad aige'n am a' chogaidh

kd

Wow, 8 years.  Have you considered a sidecar rig.  They are (in nice shape) holding around $5-6,000.00 and IMO will hold that resale value or improve over time. They are classy and you never have to put your feet down also.
KD

ThumperDeuce

Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

Buglet

The other plus with a sidecar is they can carry a lot more cargo. And they ride a lot better then most trikes. You have two tracks instead of three, its easier to miss the bumps in the road.

fleetmechanic

Another plus is that next owner has the option of 2 or 3 wheels. A trike is forever, a sidecar doesn't have to be.

calgary56

All the confidence and stability of a Trike or Sidecar, but WITH the lean capability you are used to. I have NOT ridden one of these, but both the Manager and Lead Mechanic at the shop I deal with have, they said it was an amazing experience, said it rode like a regular motorcycle at everything but slow speed, .. slow speeds, it won't fall over. Good luck, wishing you more miles ahead.

https://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NQuo-Xq7zY

Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

skeets

Thanks for the input guys, I had not even thought about a hack, have to look in to that. Though I dont know a damned thing about them, never set one up never rode in one.
calgary yep I looked at one,, real nice but the cost is worth more than the old scoot
Am fear nach gleidh na hairm san t sith, cha bhi iad aige'n am a' chogaidh

roadkingdresser

i've worked on a lot of cycles and the trikes seem to take a lot of upper body strength. i hate them and i often wander what i'll do in a few yrs. had a side car on 1 bike didn't care much for it. GOOD LUCK whatever you decide.
roadkingdresser

Hossamania

How long before the trikes come out with power steering?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Appowner

Looked into a trike a lot back when cancer first hit me (coming up on 8 years now).  My Mech even did a conversion during that time and allowed me to really go over it.  For what I wanted the cost of a conversion was running around 15k then.  Add the value of my FXSTC at the time and I could have traded it in on a new HD Trike.  But if you've changed your engine, like I have, that whole process starts over with a trade in.

Most conversion companies have things they do to your front end to make them ride better.  I had the chance to ride a couple of conversions as well as the HD Trike.  Can't say they rode bad but they just ain't the same.  For me anyway.  And I decided to stick with two wheels until I couldn't anymore.

Had I made the change I was going to go with California Side Car.  When I was looking their factory in Virginia was 4 hours from me and they're one place I did a test ride at.  https://californiasidecar.com/ 

This guy, Trikes by Rodney is a possibility.  https://www.trikesbyrodney.com/  And he's authorized to do California conversions. 

Either way, test ride the conversion of your choice before signing on the dotted line.

NHBagger

I went to a Tri Glide as I approached 70, hoping to extend my riding years.
They are different but you do get use to it and it becomes easier on the body.
Not sure what you have for a motor, but it takes some power to move it down the road.
If I were to do a conversion, I like the Hannigan Transformer.