May 08, 2024, 03:56:28 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Motor locked up?

Started by Thermos, May 26, 2009, 08:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thermos

I have been riding my 1975 XLH this year for about a month with no problems. I took it out the other day, starting off with a short ride at around 35 mph. Took a right turn, and opened her up to about 55 mph. Cruised up to a stoplight, and bike dies. No noise, no pings, no smoke. Just weird. Now the bike is locked up. Can't kick it over.. kicker shaft won't even move. She will move in neutral. I am just wondering what could possibly cause this. Dropped valve? Locked piston? Just bugs me as this was the first bike nite this year, and now I'm down. ANY advice would help. Like I said.. plenty of oil in bag, no smoke, no noise. Just can't figure this one out, guys. HELP!

olpigiron

My 1973 Ironhead Engine Did The Same Thing, And Gawd Will'n I Hope This Isn't It.

My Oil Pump Gear And Main Shaft Gear Did Not Sync. Why? I Do Not know!

I Could Not Kick It It Over Unless I Rocked it (in gear) Forward and Back. And Once Started,
                                                                     Being The Idiot I Am, I Rode It.
                                          My Oil Pump Blew to pieces, Sending pieces Shite All Through The Bottom End.

Well To Make This Story Short, It Broke the Case's, Bottom of The Cylinders, Skirts On the Pistons, All Kind's of Shite in The Engine.
                                                                        Look Things Over Well.

Also I Had To Replace The Oil Pump..
                                                                              Good Luck!!!!
Cheers....
The Sun Don't Shine On The Same Dogs Ass Everyday....
OPI

Lew

If the plugs are out you can have a look at the cylinder walls.  If the pipes are off you can look at the exhaust valves along with the intake manifold and the intake valves.    Might have a look inside the primary for something.  Raise the rear wheel and try turning the engine with the tranny in fourth gear.  If the engine has seized piston/s usually some oil in the cylinders and working the rear wheel in gear will break things loose.  Hope it's nothing major.  Good luck!

Lew 
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

Thermos

Already pulled the primary cover off, and didn't see anything suspicious. I had been having problems with the electric start lately, as when I would engage it, it would just chatter and basically eat the teeth off of the starter gear. So I have mainly stuck to kicking it. Is it possible something would be stuck with the starter jackshaft being locked up? And it wouldn't possibly be something in the tranny would it? I just don't get it.. like I said before, no noise, no smoke, plenty of oil in the bag. I figured if it was a ring, I would have seen smoke or fouled a plug. I haven't messed with it too much in a couple of days, so I will see what I can find out. If I check the valves, what should I be looking for? I have never tore into this engine, so I'm not quite sure what it is I should be looking at.

Thanks.

jmanjeff

If you have the primary cover off see if you can turn it over at the crank you should have some slack in the primary chain so the crank will turn some, and do the same for the clutch
  and you should be able to see if the starter is locked in the clutch gear
1957  Sportster

ridemyEVO

Quote from: jmanjeff on May 29, 2009, 05:03:04 PM
If you have the primary cover off see if you can turn it over at the crank you should have some slack in the primary chain so the crank will turn some, and do the same for the clutch
  and you should be able to see if the starter is locked in the clutch gear
Just what I was going to say. You also may have a problem in your tranny with a couple gears locked together.
89 FLHTP
89 Heritage

saltcaveminer

since the primary is open i might suggest you remove the clutch plates  and then try to rotate the engine(plugs out).was there any metal in the primary oil?was the electric starter gear ok?if all checks out you will need to pull the tranny.Salty