May 08, 2024, 10:34:25 PM

News:

U0140 and U0142 trouble codes for 2016 FLHXS

Started by mayor, August 12, 2020, 04:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayor

Early last month I picked up a low mileage (1,512) 2016 Street Glide Special.  The bike was bone stock except for a set of Vance and Hines mufflers (including stock airbox).   I've ridden the bike almost 600 miles since I picked it up without issues.  Over the weekend I put an SE ac kit on it, and did a couple of street tuning runs on it using a Power Vision to get the ve tables dialed in for the ac and mufflers.  On Monday after a spirited ride on a slightly bumpy country road, the engine light and a red light came on on the speedometer.  I decided that it would be a good idea to pull over to see what was going on.  :crook:  After I turned the bike off, the bike wouldn't restart.  All the electrical stuff was on, but the starter wouldn't engage. I had my power vision with me, so I checked the code and it originally showed U0140 Lost Communication With BCM. I called my buddy at the bike shop to come get me, and he suggested that I clear the code and try again. The bike still wouldn't start, but this time I had a new code U0142 Lost Communication With RHCM.  This bike is running stock bars and grips, and to the best of my knowledge has likely never had the fairing off.  Is it common for a connector to come loose enough to throw a fault ?

One thing I noticed with this bike is the twist grip for the DBW felt a little wonky.  It just didn't feel as smooth as I thought it should.  I have two other DBW bikes, and both of those bikes have a smooth throttle rotation action.  Would an issue with the twist grip sensor through a U0142 code, or would that be a different code? 

When I added the SE air cleaner, I propped up the back of the gas tank to give me better access to the stock ac bracket that I needed to remove for the new ac.   I didn't think there where any sensor plugs under there, but maybe I loosened something in the process.

Any thoughts?
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

rigidthumper

We had a bunch of the LHCM/RHCM fail early on in the Rushmore bikes, but thought that was fixed by 2016. Likely no connection between the TGS and the RHCM, as they are on separate circuits.
Any chance this was a flood bike?  (TGS feeling wonky and the failure may have been caused by corrosion)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

mayor

August 12, 2020, 06:35:02 PM #2 Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 06:41:39 PM by mayor
I don't think it was a flood bike.  I think it was originally bought by an older fellow that wanted to take the misses for rides, but the misses was to old to be able to throw a leg over the seat....at least that was what the Polaris dealer told me where I bought it.  I think the fellow traded it for a side by side.  The bike was fairly clean, so I'm guessing it was a four year old garage queen. 

So what is the LHCM/RHCM's?  is that the full hand control set ups on the bars?  did they end up needing to be replaced? 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

rigidthumper

What used to be called switches, (or switch packs) are now  Right /Left Hand Control Modules- and replaced as a unit.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?