April 26, 2024, 02:16:04 AM

News:

SE 204 cams in 2015 103 Steetglide

Started by aussie123, September 01, 2020, 08:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aussie123

A friend of mine was given SE 204 cams a while ago, and they have been sitting on the shelf.
His bike , (in subject title), has approx 50,000 miles, (stage 1, with Freedom racing slipons and SE Ventilator AC).
He wants to go into cam chest and replace tensioners and lifters for preventative maintenance. He will be using adjustable pushrods. The bike came with a SE tuner, (orange).

He asked me, instead of re-installing stock cams , what were my thoughts on installing the SE 204.. I could'nt give a yes or no answer...
As we know there are many later cams that that would give a bigger bang for your buck. The SE 204 were popular in their day, but have they been completely designated to the dust bin of history, even in this economical maintenance upgrade ???

I did mentioned to him the 2015 103 came with the newer Hight input engine, and he might not feel much of an advantage with the 204's... If so, if he wants a bolt in cam upgrade he may have to bite the bullet and choose a popular , newer cam that suits ,, and use the 204's he has on the shelf as a door stop ..
Thoughts !!!

koko3052

Do they even make 204's for the '07 & up engines, or was he given the smaller bearing cams?

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

Scotty

I would not buy a set today but if I had them sitting on a shelf I would put them in.
In a 103 they will perform good and they have a nice sounding idle.
Nothing to lose as far as I can see.

smoserx1

QuoteDo they even make 204's for the '07 & up engines, or was he given the smaller bearing cams?

I believe they do make them for 07 and up.

sfmichael

"He asked me, instead of re-installing stock cams , what were my thoughts on installing the SE 204.. I could'nt give a yes or no answer..."

the answer is yes ;)
Colorado Springs, CO.