April 25, 2024, 10:09:21 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

rear wheel compatibility in the softail faimily

Started by NCHeritage07, September 05, 2020, 05:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCHeritage07

I am riding a 07 Heritage and decided that I want to replace my rear spoke wheel that is a PITA to keep clean with a solid Fatboy wheel.  I would have assumed that all these would have the same dimensions but I bought a used wheel/tire package only to find that at least one softail wheel has a wider hub than my '07.

I found a table that shows rim sizes and maximum tire sizes but nothing about the hub ID or width.  Anybody know of a table that explains what I can use?

Also, Its again time to replace the rear tire.  I may investigate the possibility of different spacers to make this wider hub work.  I knew the dimensions of each hub last time I tried installing but can't remember now.  But, if the spacing between the pulley and the brake disk is also too wide then I am screwed.
On the days that I hold my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have pretty good days.  -RWH

convert1967

Your pretty much stuck with 3.5" width on the rear, unless you go up to an 18".  Then you can get a 4.25".

PoorUB

September 05, 2020, 09:49:05 AM #2 Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 09:55:08 AM by PoorUB
Quote from: convert1967 on September 05, 2020, 08:37:13 AM
Your pretty much stuck with 3.5" width on the rear, unless you go up to an 18".  Then you can get a 4.25".

Pretty sure he isn't concerned about the tire size, just hub dimensions.

Sorry, I am no help.

I looked it up, the Fatboy used a different swingarm compared to the Heritage, so probably not an easy swap or the factory would have run the same swing arm. The description said. narrow tire vs. wide tire, so I would imagine any Softail rim from that era with the same width tire should fit.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Adjust the Spacer Size to fit. So long as everything else is okay, your good to go.
Tom

calif phil

What size is the wheel you are trying to put on?

NCHeritage07

Quote from: calif phil on September 06, 2020, 10:52:00 AM
What size is the wheel you are trying to put on?

A size change isn't really my goal.  I was hoping for something exactly the same size, but without spokes. 
On the days that I hold my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have pretty good days.  -RWH

Hossamania

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on September 06, 2020, 10:15:11 AM
Adjust the Spacer Size to fit. So long as everything else is okay, your good to go.

That's the task in front of you. Just start in and give it a try.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

PoorUB

This might help out. It looks like the '07 Heritage was kind of a "one of". It doesn't mean other years or model rims won't fit. You can see there are a few choices of models and years with the same rim size that cross over into your '07 Heritage. Those models is where I would concentrate.

Then you can look on https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/partsfinder.htm and see which swing arm that model used.

https://s.yimg.com/aah/yhst-74230600103830/harley-davidson-wheel-size-chart-136.jpg

You may be able to get the Fatboy rim to fit, but my bet you will run into belt and fender clearance. I see a 2006 Fatboy ran the 16x3 wheel, maybe?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

tommy g

The CVO Deluxe had an 8 or so spoked mag that will fit. It doesnt need a tube either and easy to clean if you have trouble fitting that Fatboy rim.
I use one for my 09 Heritage as a spare.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

NCHeritage07

I picked up a set of wheels from a 2001 FB that have all the correct dimensions.  I just installed it without pulley, disk or tire and all the spacing looks right.  Same OD and width so I can't see why the new tire that has been waiting can't work.  This time time tomorrow I will know for sure.