April 26, 2024, 07:41:50 AM

News:

03 Cam tensioner replacement

Started by DresserDan, September 08, 2020, 10:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DresserDan

September 08, 2020, 10:17:50 AM Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 05:06:52 PM by DresserDan
Going to open it up and want to go with the new style. Which is better Screaming  Eagle or Fueling  Plan on the whole kit and new lifters Maybe cams also if money is good.
I had changed the pads and all the bearings done already  Just going back in and want to up grade it the easiest way I can. I know at one time there was a list and some places selling the parts as a kit. Would I need to up date the oil pump also if I did a piece by piece ?

PoorUB

Stock '07 and up cam plate and related parts with conversion cams. No need to buy any of the pretty aftermarket parts.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

actonern

Dresser Dan, from what I've learned, the inner cam bearings on your bike's model year are the issue with easy conversion.  they're a smaller diameter hole than the 07 and up bearings, so you're forced to do as Poor UB says, which is the new style plate and get a new set of hybrid cams that have the smaller journal on the inner side, or keep the cams you have, but then you need a different hybrid cam plate, that has hydraulic tensioners but the same outer bearings that came with your current set up.  (The 2007 and later plates did away with the outer bearings and use the parent material or whatever its called method of lubing the outer journals.

Trev T

07 up cam plate with a set of conversion cams like andrews N series is always a winner. Upgrade the inner bearings to the torrington and replace the spring in the new plate with a feuling 8019. If sourcing a used set-up inspect the plate/pump add the spring and some new tensioner pads. Inspect at 45-55K. Have changed quite a few usually with the 21N cams if staying 88. If choosing to retain the original cams the Screamin Eagle conversion kit is the only way to do so. 

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Beginning in 07 and up the Cam Plate Manganese Bushing (hardened) was removed (through the 2020 Models). 

I would seek a Plate with a Manganese Bushing which provides for less tolerance and reduced wear of ancillary parts.

The Stock Cam Plate It is no longer considered a "Engine Component Part" but, a " Consumable Engine Part (expected wear replacement part)".

Without it (bushing), the lateral tolerances was increased in the Spec and therefore can, and does contribute to Run-Out and increased Inner Bearing wear compared to having it.

Why that was removed I don't know. Perhaps a money issue.

I would replace, or at least rebuild the Oil Pump due to age and mileage alone. Added Volume and savaging, And, you're in it already. 

JMO
Tom

smoserx1

QuoteStock '07 and up cam plate and related parts with conversion cams. No need to buy any of the pretty aftermarket parts.

That is what I did along with 21N cams and torrington B148 inner bearings.  Been 65000 miles, seems good so far.  BTW the cam plate I received did not have the crank pinion bushing.

SP33DY

S&S makes a cam plate for hydraulic tensioners that uses early style cams, no need for conversion cams. S&S #310-0731 Drag #0932-0110. Comes with new oil pump.
If you like the cams you're running now, you can keep using them.

I did a conversion set up. Bought the 07 and up style cam plate and all components off eBay, bought some fueling replacement tensioner shoes, a Daytona oil pump (for 07 and up cam plate), Andrews 48N cams (05 heads can take more lift), Torrington bearings... I'll service the cam chest at 75k miles or so ;)! Daytona pump works real nice.

Johnwesley

got the cam chest opened up and the cyco tnesioners are pitted at 10,000 miles. I found small pieces in the cam chest. I use to recommend upgrading the pads, but with what I found I would go hydro conversion or gear drive.

05 FXD superglide,98",10.6,S&S585, HPI 55/58,
WFO Larry's cnc2+, supermeg,120hp

kink04fxd

That looks more like metal to me. I've got over 25,000 miles on my cyco shoes and they look just fine. I have all the parts to do the 07 up hydro upgrade, so that will be my 2021 spring project.
2000 FLHTCI (now carb)<br />1982 FLH