April 26, 2024, 07:22:48 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Minor turn signal issue, '01 RK

Started by Hossamania, September 13, 2020, 06:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

The self cancelling feature isn't working correctly, the signals will self cancel, but only after the full timeout, they do not cancel in a short time after a turn like they used to. Could this be caused by the speed sensor failing (speedo works fine), or could the tssm have lost its "brains" to calculate speed, turning, lean angle to cancel the signal?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

KD

88b

Bank angle sensor which I think is in the TSSM or TSM depending on which set up you have .

RKRuss

My 2000 Road King did it once. Replaced the VSS and she's been good ever since.

It's on the right side of the engine a couple of inches inboard and slightly forward of the crankcase oil filler hole.

Hossamania

September 14, 2020, 04:17:26 AM #4 Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 04:27:09 AM by Hossamania
Quote from: kd on September 13, 2020, 07:31:44 PM
Do you have a security system?

Yes.

Hossamania

Quote from: 88b on September 13, 2020, 11:05:26 PM
Bank angle sensor which I think is in the TSSM or TSM depending on which set up you have .

Does that mean the bike will not shut down if tipped over? I do not plan on finding out.
Thanks, I was thinking tssm causing the problem, now I make the decision to replace or not. The signal issue is not a big deal, I don't really use the security system that often, a tsm might be the easier way out to avoid marrying to the bike.

kd

Quote from: Hossamania on September 14, 2020, 04:26:48 AM

Does that mean the bike will not shut down if tipped over? I do not plan on finding out.
Thanks, I was thinking tssm causing the problem, now I make the decision to replace or not. The signal issue is not a big deal, I don't really use the security system that often, a tsm might be the easier way out to avoid marrying to the bike.

:up:  What 88 says and you are also correct. I stumbled across the description when installing my security systems on my sidecar rigs.  IIRC The instruction sheet describes how having a sidecar means that system will not be active and it causes reduced sensitivity in the security motion trigger. Another side effect of the system is the signal cancel signal.
KD

Coyote

Quote from: Hossamania on September 14, 2020, 04:26:48 AM

Think again... you'll still have to marry a TSM.

Hossamania

kd

Well you fixed the leaks so you may as well tackle this too eh?   :teeth:
KD

Hossamania

Scotty

Quote from: Coyote on September 14, 2020, 06:28:29 AM

Not on a 2001 bike you won't. No marry needed for either a TSM or a TSSM that all started in 2002 and even the 2002 carb bikes don't need to be married only the EFI ones.

This is from 2002 manual - 1st year of Delphi for Touring
[attach=0,msg1361661]

Coyote

Quote from: Scotty on September 14, 2020, 02:48:03 PM
Quote from: Coyote on September 14, 2020, 06:28:29 AM

Not on a 2001 bike you won't. No marry needed for either a TSM or a TSSM that all started in 2002 and even the 2002 carb bikes don't need to be married only the EFI ones.

This is from 2002 manual - 1st year of Delphi for Touring
[attach=0,msg1361661]

:up: Right you are. I should have read better as I assumed it was a later model bike. Thank you sir!

Hossamania

September 14, 2020, 07:48:17 PM #13 Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 08:10:49 PM by Hossamania
Even better, thanks for that info, mine is carbed, not that it matters for my year.
One step closer, kd!

kd

KD

Hossamania

Was kind of hoping it was the speed sensor, a whole lot cheaper!

Rodman

Old thread I know...but better later than never!
I have the book in my lap... so HD Says SO!
The TSSM can be configured for sidecar use (No bank angle) and the signals still cancel.... :slap:
You can unbolt TSSM and then tip it with the bike running on the sidestand to see if it quits....... :slap:
The TSSM gets speed signal from "speedometer" as well to cancel turn signals.
There is a way to diagnose the speedo head to check connection to TSSM.
You hold the trip mileage button in while turning ignition on....speedo enters diagnostic mode.
There are 10 codes, they appear in the display one at a time, as either d01SEt or d01CLr.
You push/tap the trip reset button to advance thru to see all ten. If you hold the button in for 10 seconds
you clear the codes.....so don't do that until you be done! Turning ignition off exits Diagnostic mode.
The codes are:
D01 - speed sensor power output low (Red wire)
D02 - Speed sensor power output high or open (Red)
D03 - not used
D04 - not used
D05 - Speed sensor return high (White)
D06 - speed sensor return low (White)
D07 - not used
D08 - Speedo power overvoltage (Orange/white)
D9 - Speed output shorted high (White/green)
D10 - Speed output shorted low (White/green)

(the 5 digit number is the pulses per unit calibration)

If D09 or D10 is SET then the white/green wire has got a problem somewhere between the Speedo and the TSSM.
Book says codes latch historic/intermittent hits that would come from bad connections,etc.

There is also a Morse code procedure to access the TSSM config, where you can set sensitivity for the alarm, side car, auto arming, etc.....you use the turn signal buttons.....If the bank angle sensor doesn't kill the engine you can go in and see if its in sidecar mode........but me doubt that's it. Doesn't say in the book but my guess is sidecar mode just excludes bank angle input from the cancel algorythm. Bank still has to kill the engine if you roll it, sidecar or not.
If you feel you need the Tye-Chi procedure for the TSSM....PM me... and me copy the pages and send.....tooo much crap to type!
Hope this helps.....(This book wasn't cheap)

Hossamania

Thanks for the info. Right now the bike is stuck in the corner of the garage, a few inches of snow on the ground and freezing temps. Checking the codes shouldn't take long, I can to it once I move the wife's car.