April 25, 2024, 09:35:48 PM

News:

White Spark Plugs

Started by PJultra, September 27, 2020, 04:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJultra

OK, here I go again.
98 Ultra. Stock motor, CV carb, ev13 cam, Rinehart 2into 1, Ness airbox, TwinTec 1005 nose cone ignition. (Used to be EFI)
Fixed the intake leak with oversize manifold seals. Fixed the dieseling after I turn off the ignition by spraying Sea Foam spray into the carb, and adding Sea Foam engine treatment into the gas tank and running higher octane gas.
But my spark plugs are still to light color, almost white. NGK BPR5ES-11 plugs.
I found that the gasket between the carb and air cleaner was missing, so I put on a new one.
Changed the pilot jet from 45 to 48. Main jet is a 180 and I haven't changed that yet. (tired of working on it and test rides)
The bike runs great. No coughing or spitting, no backfiring, good acceleration.
Now, as before, when I turn the air/fuel mixture screw all the way in the idle slows but the bike doesn't die. Adjusting at around 800 rpm

98 Ultra Classic  FLHTCU<br />78 Low Rider FXS

thumper 823

D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

Scotty

Can't see the ground strap properly but color looks fine for today's fuel.
I think you are thinking about spark plugs and leaded fuel.

PJultra

Quote from: thumper 823 on September 27, 2020, 04:04:47 PM
https://www.aemelectronics.com/products/wideband-uego-air-fuel-controllers/digital-wideband-uego-afr-gauge

No guess work required.

I would love to buy one, I even planned on it, but my work world has changed. I have driven company vans for 30 years. Now my position is changing (working at the office) I'll probably have to buy a car. $$$$$

PJultra

Quote from: Scotty on September 27, 2020, 04:31:01 PM
Can't see the ground strap properly but color looks fine for today's fuel.
I think you are thinking about spark plugs and leaded fuel.

That would be great. I'm just afraid of running it too lean and causing problems.
The ignition is new (bought in an emergency out of town). I ran it with the 5 ohm coil that was on the bike till I got it home. Then I replaced it with a 3 ohm. I was thinking of putting the 5 ohm back on to see if the plugs wouldn't burn as hot and not be so light. But I don't think that is the answer.

PJultra

Just read this article  https://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/how-to-read-plugs.html
I may be OK. There is a stretch of a couple of miles by me where I will try 70mph pull in clutch and turn off ignition test.
The OL would give me "Potty mouth" if I ordered an AFR guage at this time.
But it is easier to ask for forgiveness then permission.   :SM:

JW113

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The plug looks great. If it's not pining, it ain't too lean. People dwell on those old wives tales of "melted pistons" due to running lean, do you have any idea how lean today's modern fuel injected cars run? REAL lean. That's why they get 40mpg. And magically run 500,000 miles with no melted pistons. Amazing, ain't it?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

PJultra

Quote from: JW113 on September 28, 2020, 09:10:37 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The plug looks great. If it's not pining, it ain't too lean. People dwell on those old wives tales of "melted pistons" due to running lean, do you have any idea how lean today's modern fuel injected cars run? REAL lean. That's why they get 40mpg. And magically run 500,000 miles with no melted pistons. Amazing, ain't it?

-JW

I like when you chime in.
Always grateful for your knowledge. That goes for everyone here.
       Thanx

david lee

Quote from: PJultra on September 28, 2020, 02:23:26 PM
Quote from: JW113 on September 28, 2020, 09:10:37 AM

-JW

I like when you chime in.
Always grateful for your knowledge. That goes for everyone here.
       Thanx
i agree

Ohio HD

Not arguing that the AFR is probably fine.

Just keep in mind uber lean HD's, aka Twin Cam and M8 use piston cooling jets. There's a reason for that.

Hossamania

And autos are fully water-cooled to deal with the heat of running lean.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Scotty

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 28, 2020, 07:09:47 PM
Not arguing that the AFR is probably fine.

Just keep in mind uber lean HD's, aka Twin Cam and M8 use piston cooling jets. There's a reason for that.

Yes and they do look very anemic when you pull those plugs out after a 70mph run and chop

Deye76

Sometimes you'll have ping and can't hear it, why it's called the silent killer. If you timing isn't advanced aggressively and hard to start, and your not getting really good mileage, you should be OK. The 80 cu. in. Evos I ran, 4 of them, the plugs usually looked like yours. When in doubt, use a dial back timing light and have a dyno tuner check AFR.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

kd

The rim of the threaded portion of the plug has good color as does the back of the ground strap where it gets closer to the plug base.  That's the portion that is not unprotected and out in the fire. IMO it is looking good.
KD

Ironheadmike

Your leaking at the mixture screw itself . You probably screwed it in too far and flared out the hole in the carb . Probably need to lap the carb and get a new mixture screw . You'll never get it right until this is fixed .

Burnout

That plug looks normal for today's fuel.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

thumper 823

Some People that run a dyno rooms can read plugs.
There is so much too them anymore. 
The other caveat is cams . Aftermarket LSA  cams will raise heill with an oxy sensor @ low RPM.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH