April 25, 2024, 08:49:19 PM

News:

95 ci build now

Started by Dime, October 10, 2020, 03:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dime

Hello all,

So I was planning on staying 88 ci with the upcoming work but my buddy who is doing the work started pulling parts out of storage and well made me an offer I could not refuse.

So the plan is to go with the 95 ci and HQ-0034 cams. We are going to port the heads ourselves to save a few dollars. He is a master Harley tech and I used to build performance automotive engines for a living. We do not have all the knowledge that a professional porter has but we can pull off a street port job. Going to have the shop I used to work for cc the heads and mill to 82 cc to give me 9.65:1 compression.

The question is would there be benifit in going with a larger intake valve while the heads are off? I would say yes but nothing too big on such a mild build. That being said I am not sure.

Guys one thing to know about me is dispite my knowledge of engine design I will always ask those more knowledgeable than myself. My buddy doing the work is letting me figure this stuff out for myself for the most part and stepping in with the hands on knowledge like cam chest upgrade knowledge and the head porting and so on. I am learning  a ton and I love it.

Not looking for the baddest machine out there but I want to spend smart money while it is all apart.

Thanks in advance guys. Really appreciate it.

Dime

wfolarry

I'd stay with the stock parts if you're doing the work yourself. Clean up the ports & a good valve job & you should be good.

Dime

Quote from: wfolarry on October 10, 2020, 04:27:14 AM
I'd stay with the stock parts if you're doing the work yourself. Clean up the ports & a good valve job & you should be good.

Right on. I think it will be a good little budget build when done.

kd

Quote from: wfolarry on October 10, 2020, 04:27:14 AM

Larry, can you expand on what you mean by "clean up the ports"?  That's a fairly subjective statement. I can see someone ruining a set of heads by removing material on the inside turn to the intake valve thinking it will shorten the flow travel distance for example and killing them. 
KD

Ohio HD

October 10, 2020, 08:57:47 AM #4 Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 10:16:57 AM by Ohio HD
I'm not trying to answer for Larry.

But this is what cleaning them up means in my book. You use a sanding roll, and clean the ports for an undisturbed tunnel of flow. You're not trying to reshape the port, just blend the areas so they have continues smooth geometry. I also match the seat to the port if there is any overhang of the seat in the port. I may taper some of the head casting around the guides, but not much. If you don't have a way to measure the flow and air speed, you don't remove much of any real port surface.

All this of course before cutting the seats as you can easily nick or sand one.

Heads that require actual porting, larger valves, etc., that's when someone like Larry should be involved.

[attach=0,msg1364716]

[attach=1,msg1364716]

[attach=2,msg1364716]

PoorUB

Why bother with larger valve when not doing a real porting? Sending the heads away for a real porting will benefit more than slapping in a larger valve.

Make sure you calculate your compression ratios and pick the valves to match. You may need to mill the heads to bump compression. Check deck height and so on.

I ran a 95" in my 2005 Ultra and loved it. With the 5 speed ratios is was a fun ride.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Dime

Thank you all for the replies.

This is going to be a mild cleanup. Not removing much material at all. I did this to my 883 that was converted to 1200. Those heads had 1200 conversion valves in it as well and was an animal. The before with the 1200 conversion valves vs after with the mild porting was amazing. Throttle response was better and the entire rpm range improved. Never found top speed on that one never had enough straight road. This was a 1998. We never confirmed but we believe it had cams as well.

This is why a 1.9 intake was on my mind because of my experience with the sporty. And the compression is going to be bumped to 9.65:1 minimum. A bit more would get me 9.2:1 corrected which is my happy number.

Ran into a bit of a snag with the "cheap" 95 route with my buddies parts. Long story short the shop I used to work for no longer has access to twin cam torque plates. So I either need to buy a set at minimum $550 Canadian plus what ever they are charging to bore/hone or I need to find a bolt on piston/cylinder kit to buy.

I think by the time I ship off my cylinders and pistons to a shop it would be just as cheap to have a full kit bought.

Either way I want to stick with cast pistons.

PoorUB

Quote from: Dime on October 10, 2020, 11:20:56 AMNever found top speed on that one never had enough straight road. This was a 1998. We never confirmed but we believe it had cams as well.

It shouldn't take more than a 2-3 miles to sort that out! a 1200 Sporty, even a modded one should top out fairly quickly.

I also ride a Yamaha R1. I haven't topped it out either, but it wasn't the lack of road. More that I regained my ability to think properly once the 150 MPH mark rolled by!

Ohio HD

If the ground is level, well within a mile you will see top speed. If it's got any real get up and go, within a half mile.

PoorUB

You need to slow down too! :smilep:

I do agree, most any motorcycle should top out in 1/2 mile or so. You might get a bit more after that, but not much.

I remember my neighbor had a Honda Super Magna. At the time I was riding a honda V30 Magna. We went got a ride out in the country and we took off from a stop sign. He rolled on it hard and so did I after I realized what he was doing. I topped out the little V30, about 135 about the same time he decided he was fast enough and blew right by him. He was laughing later when he said he decided he was going fast enough, dropped the throttle and about the same time I flew by him. He only got up to about 110 MPH so I was probably going 30 MPH faster when I went by. I know we had only traveled less than a half mile as the area we were in was farm country with mile square sections.

Dime

Quote from: Ohio HD on October 10, 2020, 02:09:04 PM
If the ground is level, well within a mile you will see top speed. If it's got any real get up and go, within a half mile.

Your definition of get up and go vs mine might differ. For a street bike it was an awesome little scoot. Could keep up with a 110 CVO until it really got on it towards the top end but that was allegedly after 175-180 kms

Dime

Quote from: PoorUB on October 10, 2020, 02:07:14 PM
Quote from: Dime on October 10, 2020, 11:20:56 AMNever found top speed on that one never had enough straight road. This was a 1998. We never confirmed but we believe it had cams as well.

It shouldn't take more than a 2-3 miles to sort that out! a 1200 Sporty, even a modded one should top out fairly quickly.

I also ride a Yamaha R1. I haven't topped it out either, but it wasn't the lack of road. More that I regained my ability to think properly once the 150 MPH mark rolled by!

Those bikes are cool as heck man when it comes to engine technology. So much hp. I don't care my Sporty was cool as heck and tough too. Hit a moose on it and both of us lived to fight another day.

Usable road in Newfoundland for all out running is very few and far between. It has been done but between moose and road conditions it is just not sensible or safe.

I want the ability to run hard that way when operating in the sensible ranges,  I can get there quickly and easily.

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: PoorUB on October 10, 2020, 02:18:35 PM
You need to slow down too! :smilep:

I do agree, most any motorcycle should top out in 1/2 mile or so. You might get a bit more after that, but not much.

I remember my neighbor had a Honda Super Magna. At the time I was riding a honda V30 Magna. We went got a ride out in the country and we took off from a stop sign. He rolled on it hard and so did I after I realized what he was doing. I topped out the little V30, about 135 about the same time he decided he was fast enough and blew right by him. He was laughing later when he said he decided he was going fast enough, dropped the throttle and about the same time I flew by him. He only got up to about 110 MPH so I was probably going 30 MPH faster when I went by. I know we had only traveled less than a half mile as the area we were in was farm country with mile square sections.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2014/08/05/honda-v30-magna-30-vintage-motorcycle-tales/

Didn't want to post opinion without some reading material.  I've seen 167mph on the speedo of my 1986 VFR750F that I still have....a bike that can't reach an honest 150mph unless the rider is diminutive.  Most Asian brands use the speedo for entertainment purposes. -Rick

PoorUB

I understand about the generous speedometers. Also I was at 900 feet above sea level and not 4300 feet. I also had a generous tale wind. Explain to me how I ran it to redline in fifth, then went to sixth and got a bit more, I don't remember, but I was close to redline in sixth. I was surprised it did it too. Plus the other rider was there to confirm his speed when I went on by. Even if the speedometers on both bikes was off 10%, that would put him at 100 MPH and I rolled right on by.

Dime

Going to buy a set of torque plates. My buddy who is doing the work is going in on them with me so the original plan of using his parts is back on. Works out for both of us.

This is going to be a busy winter :smiled: