April 26, 2024, 07:11:26 AM

News:

No oil pressure

Started by hogpipes1, November 04, 2020, 08:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogpipes1

Bike 03 FLHT -Sitting for over a yr. Was no issues with oil pressure as  light and  gauge working. OIL tank is full , filter has back flow seal, Plugs out  fogging cyl , cranking eng.   no pressure on gauge and lite is on. let it sit a min crank again (fast)  still the same . Pull plug off  sending unit and testing ,  grd. out lite wire , it goes off. Same  with gauge it swings full sweep.  So looks like I point the finger at a sending  unit  going  out while sitting. Any good ideas?  Looks like a job  getting that unit off with frt. pipe in the way. this is the long  unit . Thanks .

Hossamania

Maybe there is no oil pressure.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

chaos901

You can take off the front rocker cover easy enough and see if oil is being pumped up. 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

rbabos

Slap a mechanical gauge in there for testing.
Ron

JW113

Did you try firing it up and see if the tappets are rattling? If not, it's getting oil pressure. Maybe an air bubble in the system near the sensor?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

smoserx1

Yes crank it up and see if the tappets rattle.  They will get loud real quick with no oil pressure.  As far as the sender unit goes I would think the light circuit and gauge circuit would be separate inside the sender.  Yes they both complete the ground connection to the light and gauge but the gauge part would be through a variable resistor where the light part would be a switch, but maybe they are connected internally, I don't know.  Anyway I installed the gauge kit on mine several years back and it involved removing the light only sensor and installing the long one, and I made do with an ordinary spanner wrench.  It was tight with limited movement but I got it without having to remove the front pipe (maybe just the heat shield, I can't remember), but it can be done.  Hard to understand why the oil pressure would go bad just sitting though???

snowangel

If the sending unit is suspect why not remove it, crank it and check for oil flow there?

kd

:agree:  It has worked for me before when a gauge wasn't a available .
KD

rigidthumper

It's a vacuum system- that pump may just need to be primed.
Pressurize the oil tank, and run the starter button for 10-15 seconds, see if the needle moves at all (there's not going to be much pressure to be had at cranking speed, maybe 2-3#)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

hogpipes1

It was all set up for winter storage. If the sending unit was easy to get off it would be. Going to pull filter and crank. Better be making a mess . Last will be filling the carb , fire up for a short min. If any major issue it will be spring  before i get to it. AZ is calling for the next 6 mo's . Winter sucks in WI.

hogpipes1

Gave  it the fire up and  pulled it out of storage gave it a good warm up . Pressure is good, so now it's back to winter set up  again. Usually never a issue when sitting 6 mo's could be 1 yr is too long, lesson learned. Thanks.