April 26, 2024, 03:06:08 AM

News:

Going chain drive.

Started by 838, November 04, 2020, 10:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When would this become necessary? I have 140tq at the rear wheel , I'm not a burn out or wheelie guy, but occasionally the rear tire breaks loose just because of the amount of torque. I don't wanna risk snapping a belt. I ride pretty hard once the bike is in motion but (like I said) not trying to rip it hard from a dead stop.

MikeL

I went to chain also and  my particular year 2000 rkc, with the chain I can fit a 150 rear tire. It can get a little messy being there is no chain guard and it is noisy especially when riding close to jerzey barriers. Just buy good quality chain and sprockets.

MIKE

Kllongbrake

I thought with 144tq I'd need to go chain drive on my roadglide but try as I might this summer was not able to damage my belt. I like hard launches and the occasional burnout but don't do wheelies. I'm anything but nice to my scoot but take good care of it. It likes to pull the axle forward. I've adjusted the belt no less than a dozen times this summer so I will get a different axle setup. I wouldn't say you NEED to run chain drive if you keep up on maintenance. A loose belt and a hard launch is most likely going to be the failing point of a belt. If the alignment and tension is good there's no reason why the belt won't hold up for you.

Bsmith153

Yeah Im running around the same power as you in my 04 Standard FLHT.  I went chain on mine when I extended the swing arm 2"s.  I agree about keeping up on your Belt maintenance  and you"ll probably be ok.   Inwould put a little more tension on your belt than  if it was stock thou.  Between the chain drive and the , ill call it custom but it aint pretty, im able to get a 180 tire easily on mine and a 200 will be a little snug but should fit. .y boy has a RoadKing, i forget the year, with around our power and he snspped his belt.  A chains a safer bet in my mind anyway but nothings a gaurantee.
I dont race because I think im the fastest
I race because its Fun!

itsafatboy

i ha ve 132hp 140tq fatboy , running the 20mm 07 belt never a issue ,  i ran this belt because went to a 210mm rear tire thing i did but this belt is hell of strong ,