April 26, 2024, 03:39:50 PM

News:

alternator rotor

Started by budlime, November 17, 2020, 10:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

budlime

Hi guys. Lost the splines on my rotor. 04 flhti. Looking at some used ones online and having some confusion. My part book calls for 38 amp but service manual says 45 amp (no spacer on shaft extension) . Were all injected bikes in those years 45 amp rotors? Can I tell which is which just by looking or ? Mine has high output stamped on it. Does that matter?  Or do they all have that? Thx

rigidthumper

Ultras got the 45 amp rotor, non-ultra models got the 38 amp rotor.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

budlime

That's where the confusion is. Straight outta the 04 touring service manual shows all injected fl's  have 45 amp. carbed  models 38 amp  My bike is a standard. The parts manual agrees with what you are saying though. ?! My rotor is stamped high output and I've seen some but not all other non touring injected bike's rotors stamped that way also . Does the HIGH OUTPUT stamp designate the difference or how else can one tell?

rigidthumper

"Hi output" is the 45 amp rotor- cop bikes also got those.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

smoserx1

QuoteDoes the HIGH OUTPUT stamp designate the difference or how else can one tell?

Don't think so.  My rotor has that stamped on it and it is a 99 FLHT with a carburetor.

14Frisco

Quote from: budlime on November 17, 2020, 01:15:41 PM
Straight outta the 04 touring service manual shows all injected fl's  have 45 amp.

In my 04 service manual the specifications state injected Road King models uses 38 Amp system.  And later, the service manual states "The high-output rotor is used on fuel injected vehicles, FLHR/C/S/I excepted"

FSG

Quote from: smoserx1 on November 17, 2020, 02:50:44 PM
QuoteDoes the HIGH OUTPUT stamp designate the difference or how else can one tell?

Don't think so. My rotor has that stamped on it and it is a 99 FLHT with a carburetor.

Correct, first you'd need to know exactly what year bike the rotor came from

EVO had High Output Rotors that were later used as upgrades in some TC's and were Stock in some TC's

eg:  some 99's had a 38 Amp Rotor 29981-95 while others had 45 Amp High Output Rotors

HD Instructions -J00553 may be of interest

NOTE: High Output Rotors have very strong magnets and are thumb killers and need to be removed using a HD Tool or similar.

They have the holes in the rotor threaded so such a tool can be used.

Low/Normal Output Rotors do not have these holes threaded.

budlime

I'm following what you are saying FSG. I think.... The HIGH OUTPUT stamp may have been 38 amp EVO ? Leftover and put on some twincams? My bike is 04 and I've seen other non tour  twinks stamped HO also. Anyhoo i believe I'll be looking for the threaded puller hole variety and that should upgrade my bike to 45A then eh? 

motorhogman

My 01 FLHT (carb'd) rotor is stamped High Output.. It is the original.  Holes are not threaded.

01 OEM parts manual:

29981-95 ROTOR 38 Amp  2001 DD/J;FB/D/P/R

29999-97 A Rotor kit 45 Amp with spacers, seal & primary cover gasket  20001 - FC/F/S

where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

budlime

Frisco- you are correct. Flhr models excepted  :up:

budlime

Heck  I've about convinced myself to weld the dang rotor on to the shaft extension. And be done with it. Was it FSG that put this thought in my head some time back?

fleetmechanic

Welding the rotor on will come back to haunt you when you need to replace the stator.

FSG

Quote from: fleetmechanic on November 19, 2020, 10:47:08 AM
Welding the rotor on will come back to haunt you when you need to replace the stator.

how so , other than having to remove the clutch basket ?

on a Softail that's not even necessary

fleetmechanic

My mistake.  I thought he was talking about welding onto the shaft.  Post withdrawn.