May 03, 2024, 10:12:27 AM

News:

question on a new ride

Started by Pete_Vit, December 18, 2020, 06:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete_Vit

I hope I am posting in the right place, correctly, The last bike I was looking at was sold before I was able to check it out, I see a 2010 Harley-Davidson FLHTCU ULTRA CLASSIC for sale, and I'm wondering if there are any issues with this year? with 105,000 miles?
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

koko3052

Coyote

It's really a pretty good bike as shown by the miles it has on it. The two biggest issues I had on my '10 was the compensator

If the cam bearings are stock, I'd change those ASAP and probably put a set of tensioner shoes in while there.

With 105k on it, I'd be wanting to change out the mounts and bushings too.

kd

KD

Pete_Vit

thanks guys, they want 7,900 I'm gonna ask some questions about comp and cam bearings, and then prolly offer 7 depending on what they know about the bike.  :up:

Leed

I have an 2009 and the worst issue was the main drive bearing going out on me.  That was a royal pain to replace but with the help on this site and one member offering to loan/sell me the tools needed it was doable.  The other problems were minor in comparison:
Starter went out last year.
Front wheel bearings.
Oil pressure sender.
Rear brake switch.
That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.
I caught the front wheel bearings when I was trying to diagnose the noise I was hearing that turned out to be the MD bearing before they actually failed.
Good luck on the bike.  I hope it works out for you.

tomboyjr

December 18, 2020, 10:21:49 AM #6 Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 11:09:12 AM by tomboyjr
  I  sold my 2010 Ultra back in '18 with 72k on it. All it needed in that time was front wheel bearings at about 50,000 mi. And some minor issues that I have heard are pretty common.   
   Like  the plug for the wires from the stator was leaking a bit, and I fixed that with some high heat silicone.
  One time it went into limp mode, some dielectric grease on the big plug at the injector fixed that.
  And a check engine light, which was a broken wire in that big bundle of wires that is zip tied at the frame neck.

All in all that bike was great. 96' Stage 1. Rode it all over the country several times. 
   If I remember I got 9k for it.

Oh yea, and once it wouldnt start after gassing up on a trip. I walked to a hardware store to buy a new battery, but that didnt fix it. Made some calls, scratched my head a lot, and couldnt figure it out. Finally I rolled it away from the pumps and into the shade, and the next time I tried it, it started right up and ran fine. I have since heard about this happening to others, either high tension wires may be close by, or sometimes certain frequencies at the gas station or pumps mess with the security system. After that, I keep the card in my wallet that goes thru the steps of over-riding the security system.

Coyote

A lot of '10s had TCA issues. I had forgot about that.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Coyote on December 18, 2020, 10:26:21 AM
good stuff - thanks guys, Coyote, TCA? pardon my ignorance  :embarrassed:

Coyote

Quote from: Pete_Vit on December 18, 2020, 11:26:16 AM

Throttle control actuator. It's the electro-mechanical part of the throttle body. It is held onto the induction module with some snaps. Easy to replace. When they went bad, the bike would go into limp mode due to a correlational error with the feedback part of the assembly. I replaced several of them during that time. Cost back then was around 150 bucks IIRC.

It's the part the connector plugs  into in this photo.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Coyote on December 18, 2020, 11:32:15 AM
Quote from: Pete_Vit on December 18, 2020, 11:26:16 AM

Throttle control actuator. It's the electro-mechanical part of the throttle body. It is held onto the induction module with some snaps. Easy to replace. When they went bad, the bike would go into limp mode due to a correlational error with the feedback part of the assembly. I replaced several of them during that time. Cost back then was around 150 bucks IIRC.

It's the part the connector plugs  into in this photo.

:up: thank you

PoorUB

I had a 2010 Ultra. It limed to eat stck compensators until the SE became the one to use. The TCA issue I  had it happen once, gooped up the connector with dielectric lube and never bothered again. The rest of the issues I  had were self inflicted,  more powered required! Went from 96" to 107", broke a piston ring on install,  rebuilt the 107", ran it a year, used oil bad, dropped in a stock 103" top end, blew a head gasket, pulled stud in Montana,  traded off on my 2016. :banghead:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Pete_Vit

Quote from: PoorUB on December 18, 2020, 02:49:36 PM
I had a 2010 Ultra. It limed to eat stck compensators until the SE became the one to use. The TCA issue I  had it happen once, gooped up the connector with dielectric lube and never bothered again. The rest of the issues I  had were self inflicted,  more powered required! Went from 96" to 107", broke a piston ring on install,  rebuilt the 107", ran it a year, used oil bad, dropped in a stock 103" top end, blew a head gasket, pulled stud in Montana,  traded off on my 2016. :banghead:
thanks, I hope to have better luck  :nix: I pick her up Tuesday, I was able to get the price down a grand, same color and pin striping as my Springer , Red Sunglow  :SM: Pixs coming when I pick her up. 

SixShooter14

Quote from: Pete_Vit on December 21, 2020, 05:49:07 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on December 18, 2020, 02:49:36 PM
thanks, I hope to have better luck  :nix: I pick her up Tuesday, I was able to get the price down a grand, same color and pin striping as my Springer , Red Sunglow  :SM: Pixs coming when I pick her up.
well....... come on, let's see her
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

PoorUB

Red Sunglo, same as mine. How many miles on it, and it didn't come out of North Dakota did it? :hyst:

Pete_Vit

Quote from: PoorUB on December 22, 2020, 07:45:23 PM

Red Sunglo, same as mine. How many miles on it, and it didn't come out of North Dakota did it? :hyst:
:up: 105,000 miles - looks like it was an Arkansas bike - I got to ride it home yesterday, wow, you guys know better than me, this bike does not feel like an 800+ lbs bike, very light feeling, handles very well, I have some pix, I have one question, the aux plug on the radio, is the for headphones? it's the stock audio unit.

PoorUB

It is an AUX in, to run music from a MP3 player or Ipod. It uses a standard 3.5MM stereo cord.

Fugawee

Well, Santa Claus came a little early this year.  Good for You!  Congratulations on Your "New" bike.  My newest bike is a 2003 FLHTCUI.  I could be wrong, but I believe that plug is for an Auxiliary input.  Music from cell phone, MP3 player, etc.  I know for mine, I received an Owner's Manual, and a Manual just for the Sound System.  Good Luck with Your new bike.

Fugawee

Oops...Sorry.  PoorUB beat Me to it.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: PoorUB on December 23, 2020, 05:28:24 AM
It is an AUX in, to run music from a MP3 player or Ipod. It uses a standard 3.5MM stereo cord.
OK Thanks how I read the manual, but the AUX LED on the unit never appears, more reading for me, I'm going to replace the head unit eventually, the Indy Dealer was suggesting a Jensen unit  :nix: I know I'm going to replace the speakers, I hope Focal makes some for bikes  :up:

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Fugawee on December 23, 2020, 05:32:52 AM
Well, Santa Claus came a little early this year.  Good for You!  Congratulations on Your "New" bike.  My newest bike is a 2003 FLHTCUI.  I could be wrong, but I believe that plug is for an Auxiliary input.  Music from cell phone, MP3 player, etc.  I know for mine, I received an Owner's Manual, and a Manual just for the Sound System.  Good Luck with Your new bike.
thanks  :up: :SM: I've been doing so much for the house this year and the wife, I figured what the heck  :smilep:
one other question, added later, in one of the hard bags was a yellow Screaming Eagle box, 3.5" x 6 or 7" with a plug, like a serial port plug at one end, any idea's  :scratch:

Fugawee

Is that piece mounted in the bag?  Or just something "thrown" in the bag?  Is there a part # on it?
Just a guess...but a Screamin' Eagle Tuner Kit for Your bike, if it's just something in the Bag, not connected to anything.

rigidthumper

Whats the part number on the box?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Pete_Vit

December 23, 2020, 06:45:19 AM #23 Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 06:57:37 AM by Pete_Vit
Quote from: Fugawee on December 23, 2020, 06:20:26 AM
Is that piece mounted in the bag?  Or just something "thrown" in the bag?  Is there a part # on it?
Just a guess...but a Screamin' Eagle Tuner Kit for Your bike, if it's just something in the Bag, not connected to anything.
I'll get a pix and a part #, there's a medal dowel like thing inside the bag, like a hook that holds it there  :scratch:

Fugawee

Looks to Me like a Screamin' Eagle Performance Tuner.  If You access a H-D Parts and Accessories Catalog...You'll see it in there.  Look in a 2011 P+A Catalog, if available, in the Screamin' Eagle section.  Might be in newer catalogs as well, I'm not sure.

kd

Pete, that's a Screamin Eagle tuner.  I have a super tuner pro and it says that on the front.  Yours doesn't so I expect it is a simple super tuner  (SEPT). My bar code is different too but the Tuner is the same in appearance in all other ways.  BTW, it is orange, not yellow.  :teeth:
KD

Pete_Vit

Quote from: kd on December 23, 2020, 07:33:27 AM
Pete, that's a Screamin Eagle tuner.  I have a super tuner pro and it says that on the front.  Yours doesn't so I expect it is a simple super tuner  (SEPT). My bar code is different too but the Tuner is the same in appearance in all other ways.  BTW, it is orange, not yellow.  :teeth:
:doh: yeah, I see Orange and wrote yellow, can't fix stupid  :dgust: Thanks Kd, something else to check out later on down the road !

Leed

Nice looking bike Pete!
Best of luck with it but be careful. The red ones are the fastest😄

kd

You may be able to get a tuner to lift the tune off it and compare it to your ECM.  It's a pretty good indication that a little more than exhaust and breather have been done to it.  Likely a touring grade cam by the sound of your experience riding it home.  It doesn't sound like it was a dog. I'm guessing it's a 96" and they seemed a little soft to most.
KD

Pete_Vit

Quote from: kd on December 23, 2020, 07:50:11 AM
You may be able to get a tuner to lift the tune off it and compare it to your ECM.  It's a pretty good indication that a little more than exhaust and breather have been done to it.  Likely a touring grade cam by the sound of your experience riding it home.  It doesn't sound like it was a dog. I'm guessing it's a 96" and they seemed a little soft to most.
:up:  yup 96" it does not run like a dog to me but I'm use to the 80" Evo motor. I like the Rinehart true duals - very mellow until you flip the throttle  :SM:

PoorUB

That was nice that the previous owner sent the tuner along with. I knew a guy that sold his HD and I asked if he was sending the TTS tuner along with the bike, even after I said it was "married" to the bike and wouldn't do anyone else any good. He said, "Nope, F them, they can figure it out!"

What are people like that?

Pete_Vit

Quote from: PoorUB on December 23, 2020, 08:52:41 AM
That was nice that the previous owner sent the tuner along with. I knew a guy that sold his HD and I asked if he was sending the TTS tuner along with the bike, even after I said it was "married" to the bike and wouldn't do anyone else any good. He said, "Nope, F them, they can figure it out!"

What are people like that?
yup  :agree:

Fugawee

That Guy probably wanted to sell the Tuner on E-bay.

Hossamania

Once rolling they are pretty nimble. The twin cam pulls nicely. Congrats, nice pick up. Needs cams and a tune. And 103 upgrade. Might as well do heads as long as they're off............
Peruse the audio section here, all kinds of info on speakers and head units. The stock speakers aren't great, much better options out there. For real improvement, an amplifier is your friend. That audio section will help you spend money just like the tech sections!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Hossamania on December 23, 2020, 09:20:49 AM
Once rolling they are pretty nimble. The twin cam pulls nicely. Congrats, nice pick up. Needs cams and a tune. And 103 upgrade. Might as well do heads as long as they're off............
Peruse the audio section here, all kinds of info on speakers and head units. The stock speakers aren't great, much better options out there. For real improvement, an amplifier is your friend. That audio section will help you spend money just like the tech sections!
:up: thanks Hoss ! the guy who did my C5 does Harley head units and speakers too, I'll check with him too

Hossamania

One thing I've found is that the music source matters. I have stock head unit and and changed to Boom! speakers in the front (free), when listening to music from the FM tuner it's pretty rough, but using an ipod plugged in is much better quality, either set of speakers.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Hossamania on December 23, 2020, 10:18:56 AM
One thing I've found is that the music source matters. I have stock head unit and and changed to Boom! speakers in the front (free), when listening to music from the FM tuner it's pretty rough, but using an ipod plugged in is much better quality, either set of speakers.
:agree: I was told also that MP3 is not the best format for sound, and depending on the bitrate you can get a better quality sound, I agree FM compared to CD's or portable players - big difference 
Merry Christmas to all in case I forget and thanks for all the great info and tips, now I need to ride...... :) 

rigidthumper

Street Tuner part number (on the box) is 41000008- limited to EPA legal tunes.
If the box part number is 32109-08(A,B, etc) it's a Super Tuner- complete functionality "for off road use only"   ;)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Pete_Vit

One other question, while checking OIL and trans levels, I see a pigtail hanging down from the seat, right side, I didn't take the seat off but what what I've been reading these bikes came with a battery tender pigtail? is this true ?
thanks

kd

My 2011 didn't.  It was probably added and may even double as a plug in for electric clothing. I have doubles for the passenger too.
KD

Coyote

If it looks like this connector then it's a float charge pigtail.

kd

I use those for my charger and with an adapter for my heated gear.  My CTEK lithium battery charger is a separate configuration and an extra plug hanging out there. They tuck up out of sight until needed. 
KD

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Coyote on January 04, 2021, 01:10:31 PM
If it looks like this connector then it's a float charge pigtail.

that's what it looks like, I'll check under the seat later today, thanks

Pete_Vit

Quote from: kd on January 04, 2021, 01:26:14 PM
I use those for my charger and with an adapter for my heated gear.  My CTEK lithium battery charger is a separate configuration and an extra plug hanging out there. They tuck up out of sight until needed.
:up: 

Bladesmith

I had a 2010 Ultra. The big problem was with the cats in the headpiece it was a pig, slow with terrible pick up..A Fuel Moto head pipe turned it into a different bike.
If my thought dreams could be seen they'd  put my head in a guillotine.. Dylan

Hossamania

Quote from: Bladesmith on January 17, 2021, 01:05:04 PM
I had a 2010 Ultra. The big problem was with the cats in the headpiece it was a pig, slow with terrible pick up..A Fuel Moto head pipe turned it into a different bike.

Headpipe and tune? Even with the stock pipe a tune helps make better power.

SixShooter14

cools them down as well. I've been on a couple stock TCs and whew, they get hot when you're stuck in construction or just stopping at lights.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Pete_Vit

I have to really examine the pipes, from what I see they are not a stock head pipe  :nix: they are Rinehart True Dual's and the bike has been tuned.
Took my first real ride yesterday to Petite-Jean, lots of hills and twisty turns, I have to say the front end feels much lighter thru the turns than the Springer, it was a great ride, now for a set of speakers, the back 2 sound like they are blown   :emsad:

Hossamania

Pete_Vit