April 26, 2024, 11:01:35 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Convertible paint.

Started by 91evo, December 20, 2020, 12:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

91evo

G'Day all.
I picked up a 94 Convertible a few years ago, rebuilt the motor as she had a blown head gaskit, did a few other things.
Anyway I was hoping that someone can help me identify the tank decal, Harley gives me the paint code's but thats it.
I have not seen the decal on any other Harley and can not find any info on it....so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.
[attach=1]

Breeze

MY guess is that is a "Screaming Eagle" (Iron Eagle?) model which was the early version of CVO.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

rigidthumper

Variation on the 5922-33 decal, from the 1933 VL tank emblem.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

91evo

Thanks for the reply guys....time to do some more research.

thumper 823

I will guess Harley does special paint jobs for some dealers or money.
The   example i posted here  awhile back seems to indiate this
in  checking  with the guy i bought it from and it came stock from HD.
No one one anywhere has ever seen others like this but was bought brand new without a logo  AFAIK.

[attach=0]
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

Buglet

Back in I think the 90's you could order custom paint jobs from Harley. I know a base solid color was around $ 400.00 and they would paint your stock parts, just along as they were like new. They had a whole chart of paint schemes you can pick from.   

thumper 823

Quote from: Buglet on December 21, 2020, 06:33:11 AM
   Back in I think the 90's you could order custom paint jobs from Harley. I know a base solid color was around $ 400.00 and they would paint your stock parts, just along as they were like new. They had a whole chart of paint schemes you can pick from.

My tin work came from a 2015 SG.  He bought it  brand new he told me !

I have looked all over for some tell tail signs of a redo.  (I do paint)
Havew Perused the net for pix.
None .
Not a tape mark , not misted blend mistake with the ghost flames, no nothing.
So....when these mystery happen  to appear, its good for late night scary camp ground talk.  LOL

Buglet

Thumper I was talking about the EVO days. I should of being more clear about that. They even had half tanks on a board with the stock and custom paint on that they sold. I have 1 or 2 around here still in the box.

91evo

Thanks for the replys.
I cant find anything about this paintwork, yes it is a copy of the VL decal, but tis all I know.
Must of been a special order piece of work from Harley back in 94.

thumper 823

Maybe Willie will come board here and explain IT all.
These are not the first two paint mysteries I have known about.
Perhaps there is a special works dept?

kd

December 21, 2020, 11:56:22 AM #10 Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 12:03:46 PM by kd
There is a custom paint department.  Forget about getting them to release the paint code color mix. They are guarded and only available as a repro from them.  Harley factory custom and restricted paint schemes with striping are hand painted and hand stripe work.  Close examination will reveal actual brush strokes. Here's what Harley says about it in the second section "Basic Details" 2nd sentence.  For example my two 95th anniversary models are hand striped.  Those colors are available but just not used by Harley in any other year and only on numbered anniversary bikes. The custom paint division is tighter than that and their stuff is not available.  You have to go to them for a replacement piece.

https://accessories.harley-davidson.ca/education/spotlight/Custom-paint-sets
KD

thumper 823

thanx
i think that answered all the  mysteries!