April 27, 2024, 08:15:49 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cylinder Base Spacers

Started by dwjohnson, December 20, 2020, 05:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwjohnson

Hey guys, I'm wondering everyone's thoughts and experiences with using cylinder spacers?  What are the pros and cons with putting a .100" Aluminum spacer under a Harley cylinder?
I'm looking at needing two for my application,  but let's discuss this in a general sense of good and bad. Thanks for any insight.

rigidthumper

Stroker plates? Used em when necessary on older engines, haven't needed them on late model bikes.   What's the project?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

kd

2 spacers stacked?  That'll close up the rear cylinder frame clearance and open up the intake gap.
KD

dwjohnson

Well when I said two, I just meant one under each jug, sorry, but really, Cometic has them about as thick as you want. Shouldn't have to stack them.
I have a pair of 5" long barrels that I need to make 5.100" for my Sporty.
Any issues with piston skirt and spacer or any other concerns, other than the two KD mentioned? I think I have the taller install complications covered but something about the piston peeking out the bottom of cylinder and riding in that spacer grabs my attention, even if it is only .050" correct?

kd

If I understand you correctly, and you put .100" under the barrel it will lift it .100" so the piston will uncover .100" more skirt at the bottom and not .050".  It may add room for .050" stroke on each end but the reality is you are lifting it .100" to do that.
KD

rigidthumper

XL cylinder sleeve will isolate the piston from the spacer. Mock up the left case half, with flywheels/pistons (rings not needed) with the stroker plates under the cylinders, and measure piston protrusion, deck height, and rod clearance, to make sure everything will do what you want. If the piston gauge point is exposed at BDC, re-evaluate the chosen parts.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

kd

:up:  .... and skirt clearance between the two cylinders when both pistons are down.
KD

dwjohnson

Eggcellent fellas. Thanks. Will do