April 27, 2024, 08:25:21 AM

News:

Speedometer plastic replacement?

Started by xltjim, May 29, 2009, 02:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xltjim

Hi all, been awhile but been in the "shadows".

I have a 1977 sportster with the stock speedometer/tachometer.  The clear plastic lenses have gotten yellowed and hazy.  I have tried the novus product and while it did help pretty well, I was wondering if anyone has had success replacing the lenses and how did it go for you?  I have seen the replacement lenses at J&P and it says "just cut off the old ones and solvent weld the new on".  Sounds like this may be a good opportunity for me to screw something up.  So if anybody has done this please let me know what I would be in for.  And if too big a hassle I will just leave well enough alone.

Regards and ride safe all,

Jim

Lew

I've done it with just ok sucess.  Was a pita all the way around.  I've since learned about Paramount Speedometer in Paramount, CA. (562) 634-7274.  First rate service.

Lew   
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

xxxflhrci

I also have a '77.  My bike is a garage kept cherry.  However, it's tach/speedo lenses are also yellowed.  It tried Novus.  It didn't work and I can see why....the coloring is just something on top of the lens.  The whole lens has basically detoriated and yellowed completely thru from what I have seen.

I've seen those "solvent weld" kits....fancy word for glue.  IMO, it looks like nothing but a good way to mess up your gauges.

I chose to leave my alone.