April 26, 2024, 09:51:38 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

No more hydro clutches for 2021?

Started by Rockout Rocker Products, January 05, 2021, 07:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockout Rocker Products

Guy on another forum says he watched a bunch of '21s being unloaded, not a hydro clutch in the group.... even baggers.

Guess that fixes the transfer issue.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

sfmichael

that's interesting - when do the new bikes 'officially' hit the showrooms?
Colorado Springs, CO.

TXChop

ECM's have a different look as well. Single plug again

scotman623

January 05, 2021, 09:21:20 PM #3 Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 10:42:33 PM by FSG
Quote from: sfmichael on January 05, 2021, 08:10:56 PM
that's interesting - when do the new bikes 'officially' hit the showrooms?

Today!! Lots of dealerships took in 2021 stock this afternoon.. They definitely went back to a clutch cable and a new ECM from Bosh
Always look forward...

rbabos

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on January 05, 2021, 07:29:31 PM
Guy on another forum says he watched a bunch of '21s being unloaded, not a hydro clutch in the group.... even baggers.

Guess that fixes the transfer issue.
That's good. There was a serious lacking of how do I adjust my clutch lately. :hyst:
Ron

Hossamania

Is the slipper clutch still being used?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Buglet

Leave it up to Harley to go backwards on the clutch. It amazes me they can make a hydraulic clutch work right. That should make the old school people happy.

biglew55

I don't consider myself old school, but I never saw the benefit of the hydraulic clutch.  The cable clutch had the ability to adjust to preference and the hydraulic didn't reduce effort or add reliability, so it's contribution was added complexity and cost.  If it goes back to the feel of the pre-rushmore cable clutch, I'll welcome it on my next bike.
2020 FLHTK - 2018 BMW R1200 GSA - 1965 FLHFB
IBA #595

remington007

I'm guessing it cheaper to produce a cable clutch over a hydraulic. 

Deye76

They hydraulic units back in 2004 were much easier pull than the cable actuated, and worked flawlessly. Mine had 96,000 miles on it when the bike was sold. Changed the DOT 5 once. I believe that's why I never experienced the increased effort at high RPM with a VPP that everyone talks about.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

calif phil

I prefer the clutch cable.   That is a good move in my opinion. 

Hossamania

Quote from: calif phil on January 06, 2021, 07:06:11 AM

I tend to agree. I think the hydro clutches, besides being problematic from the get-go, were not user friendly for many people with smaller hands. I personally hated the engagement point being so far out.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Rockout Rocker Products

My 15 Limited Low came with the juice/slipper clutch.... The lever pull is considerably less than a cable/standard clutch setup.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

HogMike

My last 3 oem hydro clutches sucked,
On my 19 cvo I went non-oem and it is nicer than my cable clutch on my other bikes.
JMHO
:potstir:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Jim Bronson

:up: That's great news to me. I love being able to adjust the clutch for my personal preference.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

PoorUB

A step backwards IMO.
One less thing to adjust,  stays consistant, always releases at the same point.  Plus I  never had any issues with where the clutch released in relation to the lever like some do.
About half the time I would adjust the cable I  would have to mess with it a second time.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

jmorton10

Quote from: calif phil on January 06, 2021, 07:06:11 AM

I agree 100%, I never saw a single advantage to the hydraulic setup & I hate the feel of them.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

BigT

I have my 1st hydro clutch in 40 years and love it. I installed the AIM slave unit, loaded up on spring pressure to hold almost 150 hp and can pull the clutch lever in with two fingers!

kd

Quote from: BigT on January 06, 2021, 03:09:15 PM
I have my 1st hydro clutch in 40 years and love it. I installed the AIM slave unit, loaded up on spring pressure to hold almost 150 hp and can pull the clutch lever in with two fingers!

If it's possible, why can't it come from the factory like that then?
KD

PoorUB

Quote from: kd on January 06, 2021, 03:11:54 PM
Quote from: BigT on January 06, 2021, 03:09:15 PM

If it's possible, why can't it come from the factory like that then?

Because someone at HD designed it?

You could ask that question about much of the engineering from HD!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Hyd Clutch is only on Trikes till half year, then removed. BOSH ECM and 17mm Titania O2 w/ Variable Resistor; Voltage supplied by the ECM.
Tom

Coyote

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on January 06, 2021, 06:09:27 PM
Hyd Clutch is only on Trikes till half year, then removed. BOSH ECM and 17mm Titania O2 w/ Variable Resistor; Voltage supplied by the ECM.

Quote from: Jamie Long on January 06, 2021, 04:36:56 PM
Model 2021 FLH/FLT Touring platform has received several key updates relative to electrical hardware among other changes. We'll post more info as it comes available.

new Delphi MT22 ECM

new ISO 19689 OBD data port replaces the current 6 pin data connector

other 2021 FLH/FLT notes:

• RDRS is now standard on all models except Electra Glide Standard, base Street Glide, base Road Glide, and base Road King
  • same 12mm heated O2 sensors as previous models
  • same exhaust system fitment as previous models
  • cable clutch actuation on each of the models we inspected including Tri Glide

FLSTFIDave

My last 7 Harleys have had the Hydraulic clutch.  I much prefer it to the cable.  Especially on built motors.  I feel its a stop backwards, and obviously a cost cutting measure for the MoCo.

Will it still be slip and assist clutch, or we going backwards there also?
2023 CVO Road Glide Whiskey Neat
2021 Pan America Special, Gray,  2003 Fatboy

Buglet

I'am surprise that didn't go with a OBD2 connector, I think in Europe all bikes have to be OBD2 now. A lot of other bikes switch over all ready. I guess it's a Harley thing.

cheech

Quote from: FLSTFIDave on January 07, 2021, 03:33:33 AM
My last 7 Harleys have had the Hydraulic clutch.  I much prefer it to the cable.  Especially on built motors.  I feel its a stop backwards, and obviously a cost cutting measure for the MoCo.

Will it still be slip and assist clutch, or we going backwards there also?

I was thinking they're trying to get out of the liability also besides the cost ordeal. Recalls with the master cylinders where the clutch wouldn't disengage, transfer issues and whatever else.