May 02, 2024, 03:14:41 AM

News:

Looking at eliminating compenator

Started by cpiccarr, January 06, 2021, 08:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hattitude

Quote from: jmorton10 on January 07, 2021, 03:33:39 AM

I am currently running a 30T Vulcan solid sprocket with my 124" RK.  Vulcan stuff is very high quality & their CS is very good also.

I would never go back to a compensator at this point.

~John

Ditto... but I went with the 32 tooth version with my 124".....

The shoe changes the angle of the primary chain, which caused some initial noise that it never had before... Now that the shoe is worn in, and the chain properly adjusted, I don't notice any real difference in the primary chain noise...

Barrett

I don't care for the steep angle on the chain. I would rather change the gearing on the final drive.
I'm going with the solid sprocket also but keeping the same tooth count.

kd

You can use a 49 EVO Industries 49 tooth clutch basket sprocket and chain for a nice change too.
KD

tommy g

Quote from: kd on January 09, 2021, 08:36:12 PM
You can use a 49 EVO Industries 49 tooth clutch basket sprocket and chain for a nice change too.
I did that about 50,000 miles ago on my 09 Heritage,,well worth the $550 CAD.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

kd

A 32 engine sprocket with a 49 tooth basket may be OK with the OEM chain and tensioner and not need the booster seat (snap on shoe) to take up any slack. You will get a lower ratio out of it also.  The chain will likely look as though it is stock.  To be clear, I don't know anyone that has done it that way but I believe it should work.

FWIW, the 49 tooth basket and 31  tooth transmission pulley give a 3.16 final ratio which is about perfect in the 09 up touring. It affects the cruise and 6th gear shift light when you change the trans pulley though.  Doing it all in the primary keeps the light and cruise normal.  Most that do this stuff are using a good tuner that has the ability to correct the issue so if that's the case you can do it how you please. Lots of options. Most do this mod to pick up power and responce.  The 32 / 49 combination will give an o9 up touring about a 3.25 ratio which is decent and very useable.
KD