News:

oil filter holder

Started by nmainehunter, January 14, 2021, 02:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nmainehunter

What are the thread sizes going into oil filter holder on a 95 softail. Thanks

Burnout

I think it's a 3/4 straight thread.

Easy to figure out by cross referencing the oil filter to a brand you can get a spec sheet for, and that sheet will give you the thread size and pitch.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

nmainehunter

Thanks Burnout, I should have been more specific, I need the size of the ports for the feed and return lines.

SP33DY

nmainehunter

I was thinking that 1/4" pipe would be the ticket but it is loose in the thread, and it isn't tapered. To make matters worse the holes aren't the same diameter.

JW113

Those are crush sleeve fittings, not tapered pipe thread.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

xlfan

I measure .673" outboard threads on the nut, I don't have a clue what that could be. The thread pitch is 20 (tpi).

nmainehunter

Thanks. .673, only Harley would come up with something like that. Probably the only one in the whole world  :wink: Anyway, I found some stock lines and fittings for cheap on eBay so I'll go that way.

xlfan

Maybe it is 11/16" - 20, drill size 41/64" which should be .640"

SP33DY

Quote from: xlfan on January 16, 2021, 06:36:38 AM
Maybe it is 11/16" - 20, drill size 41/64" which should be .640"

You're right! I just found one here and measured the threads on the nut.

Sorry about the earlier reply, had brain fog, was thinking about the oil pump fitting.

nmainehunter

I've found that a 3/8 pipe tap has the same thread. I ran it into the hole and was able to cut some solid threads. I was able to run a 3/8 x 3/8 connector in with a really solid fit.