April 25, 2024, 08:15:53 PM

News:

BMZR VS. O-Ring chain.

Started by 838, January 21, 2021, 10:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Looking at Vulcan specifically. What's the difference between a BMZR and an o-ring chain? Is the BMZR worth the extra $100???

I contacted Vulcan but have not heard back.

92flhtcu

Bikemaster O-Ring Tensile strength (530 chain) 9,700 lbs
for engine size up to 1000cc

Bikemaster Z-Ring tensile strength 11,200 lbs
for engine size up to 1400cc

thats from the catalog, both come with Rivet style master link, so if no chain tool, you'll need to by a 530 Clip type master separately
Need a bigger garage

hbkeith

that tensile strenght wont be there with a clip master link , only as strong as weakest link

92flhtcu

i figured that with the clip type, just stating what is in the catalog, none the less, excellent point and hope the OP see it
Need a bigger garage

hogpipes1

Quote from: 92flhtcu on January 22, 2021, 03:25:58 PM
i figured that with the clip type, just stating what is in the catalog, none the less, excellent point and hope the OP see it

Cheap ins. carry a new extra M-Link . Busted a few way back when. Chains are many times stronger than 50-60 yrs ago but a weak  M-link ,will leave you along side the rd.

kd

When many of us use chain it's because we need the extra strength.  We aren't just putting around. IMO The clip style master link as an easily carried spare may in a rare circumstance get you home but isn't a suitable option as a permanent link. If a chain of this quality breaks there is likely collateral damage that will mean you're stuck anyway.
KD

Scotty

Quote from: hbkeith on January 22, 2021, 02:30:38 PM
that tensile strenght wont be there with a clip master link , only as strong as weakest link

Just did a chain conversion for a mates son and this is something I can't get my head around.
I hold a rivet link and a clip link and to me what makes the rivet link stronger?
They both are identical until after the the outside plate is on and then the hollow end on the rivet link is weakened by using the rivet tool in my opinion but the clip link is not touched in anyway.
I must be missing something in my head because I have heard this over and over through the years but all my bikes from the 70' and 80's had clip links and not once did they fail.

Ohio HD

I think where this originated is when older style motorcycle chains had a lot of flex, slop, clearances even when brand new. Some hard power against the drive system could cause the master link clip to pop off due to the link moving around. Newer o-ring and x-ring chains have a tighter tolerance and is much less likely to allow the master link clip to pop off. Also the clips are made thicker, and hold tighter than in the past.

That being said, if I were racing, it would be an endless chain. On the street I've also run conventional chains with aster links with out fail.

kd

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 28, 2021, 02:18:19 PM
I think where this originated is when older style motorcycle chains had a lot of flex, slop, clearances even when brand new. Some hard power against the drive system could cause the master link clip to pop off due to the link moving around. Newer o-ring and x-ring chains have a tighter tolerance and is much less likely to allow the master link clip to pop off. Also the clips are made thicker, and hold tighter than in the past.

That being said, if I were racing, it would be an endless chain. On the street I've also run conventional chains with master links with out fail.

Ohio beat me to it while I was typing but I'm not going to waste all that wear and tear on my typing finger  :hyst: so here's my take.

A lot of previous chain experience is not with the latest O-ring design so many clipped link experiences are not too relevant . O-ring chains have extra components. The O-rings are compressed between the 2 side plates for sealing purposes.  When installing the plate for the clip type master link you still have to compress the 2 plates together to get the clip in the grooves.  Of course the clip needs to be installed in the right direction but now there is pushback from the O-ring compression trying to encourage the clip back out of it's groove.  Couple that with a chain that is starting to whip or has some wear causing / allowing side flex the clip could become dislodged. 

Common? Hard to say because these O-ring chains are usually riveted links and haven't been around so long.

Have I ever had a chain let go because of a clip style master link dislodging?  Yes. (but not an O-ring)  In 55 years I have spit 2 drive chains (maybe one other) out the back and had 1 primary chain pile up in the clutch hub while passing a car on the highway. That one locked up the rear wheel and  :dgust: this look says it all. We always bought good chain in bulk and used clip links because it also allowed the use of half links and like others we carried spares. I don't remember a spare link being much use after a failure. 

In consideration of how many years of riding 3 failures may not sound like a lot but it's 3 times too many for me. They all failed at the master link so you decide. In one case (maybe all) I could have been killed (or someone riding with me).  You can manage the install without the tool if you want but I have the tool and use it.
KD

Scotty

Quote from: kd on January 28, 2021, 03:19:10 PM
In consideration of how many years of riding 3 failures may not sound like a lot but it's 3 times too many for me. They all failed at the master link so you decide. In one case (maybe all) I could have been killed (or someone riding with me).  You can manage the install without the tool if you want but I have the tool and use it.

I put on the rivet link with the proper tool because that is what he wanted the rest was just my rambling thoughts on it  :hyst:
But good info none the less.
Thanks

Appowner

kd,

3 chains in 55 years of riding but, how many miles was that?

I have close to 25 years of riding that span some 50 years in time.  And I'll bet my annual average mileage is far less than yours.  So to make a fair comparison, mileage and not time is the way to go.  Otherwise depending how one wants to look at it, I'm either 1 1/2 or 3 chains behind.  :)

Hossamania

You have some catching up to do! Get cracking!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

turboprop

Quote from: 838 on January 21, 2021, 10:54:00 AM
Looking at Vulcan specifically. What's the difference between a BMZR and an o-ring chain? Is the BMZR worth the extra $100???

I contacted Vulcan but have not heard back.

The oem for that chain is BikeMaster, why would you call Vulcan? And its only $113 on Amazon vs $177 from Vulcan.

Google BMZR chain.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.