April 26, 2024, 02:34:34 AM

News:

penetrating oil and chrome

Started by Ironheadmike, January 31, 2021, 11:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironheadmike

The bolts are completely rusted . There's no way to even try to just put a wrench on it . My thought is to soak them down with penetrating oil for a few days . Will the oil F up the chrome on my trees and my front end as it leaks out of the bottom of the risers ? It's a 98 flsts . Thanks

Sycho01

Why not put rags or shop towels underneath to catch any oil that may leak out and minimize the oily mess over the rest of the chrome and or paint?

koko3052

Any penetrating oil that I've used is all petrol based doesn't hurt chrome nor polished alum..

Ironheadmike

I was thinking of  using that tape used for garden hose leaks and tape the bottom of the rises . just asking incase something goes wrong . Sometimes I have that kind of luck .

Ironheadmike

I use home made oil . Acetone and type F trans oil .

Hossamania

The oil should not affect the chrome. I would stick with rags wrapped in wherever possible to minimize the mess, remove the really soaked ones and replace them for the longer soak. The tape residue may make more of a mess than the oil, and won't stick once the penetrant hits it anyway.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

Short, multiple applications rather than trying to soak it heavily, should cut down  on runoff.

hbkeith

Ironheadmike

The bolts that mount the risers to the triple tree

Hossamania

They have probably galled a bit due to dissimilar metals, hopefully the oil will help. Leave the handlers in place to gain some purchase to put some torque on those bolts. Once out, the risers and bolts may need to be replaced.

motorhogman

PB Blaster works great and has no effect on chrome.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

kd

Aluminum has a mush higher expansion rate than the steel fasteners. After soaking for a few days, try hitting the aluminum at the fastener location (not on the fasteners) with a heat gun of sorts and have an impact handy to shock them into that first move.  Once the fasteners have moved it should accept some penetrating fluid and get easier to turn.
KD

fbn ent

That will also help if they have been slathered with red Loctite on assembly. :banghead:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

ultra 08

Kroil works fantastic. check it out on the wire
2008 105th Anniversary Edition Ultra Classic

doctorevil

Same as the machine shop next to me. Kroil and heat

Hossamania

Ironheadmike, did you ever get them removed?