April 26, 2024, 02:48:14 PM

News:

Vibration

Started by Bladesmith, February 10, 2021, 12:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bladesmith

I'm an old guy, sold my Ultra cause it got too big for me. I have a 2006 Softail I bought new, but being a 5 speed it vibrates too much at highway speeds. Would changing the sprockets or gears help? I'm looking for the easiest and cheapest fix...Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
If my thought dreams could be seen they'd  put my head in a guillotine.. Dylan

nibroc

install a 34 T trans sprocket

xlfan

2006 Softail with a TC-B engine vibrates too much? Could it be the balancers?

Hossamania

Ultras are smoothe at speed, Softails are smoothe at idle.
As xlfan said, balancers could be an issue. How many miles on the motor?
You can change the gearing, but you give up low end power, especially roll on power in 5th gear.
Any mods to the motor?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Bladesmith

Quote from: Hossamania on February 10, 2021, 05:41:44 PM
You can change the gearing, but you give up low end power, especially roll on power in 5th gear.
Any mods to the motor?

34K on the engine...95" big bore, SE204, Flat top pistons, Super Trapp & AC...Stock heads, tuned years ago with the old HD Race Tuner.

Hossamania

I kind of missed the part where you said you've had it since new, so it hasn't changed as far as vibrations go over the years? That would rule out the balancers being an issue.
Nibroc suggested  a 34T sprocket, easy enough to try.
I also meant to say that the 95" motor with a 204 is a very nice combo, great all around set up.

wolf_59

My 04 Fatboy has vibrated at highway speeds since new and got worse when I went to 95" and cams, But using the TTS tuner the major vibration has gone away but once I hit 75 mph may as well forget about using the mirrors

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Hossamania on February 10, 2021, 05:41:44 PM
Any mods to the motor?
now having both -  :agree:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Bladesmith

Any comments about a new 6 speed transmission

FXDBI

Quote from: Bladesmith on February 13, 2021, 05:16:04 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$   Bob

Hossamania

I don't suppose the Screaming Eagle 6 speed in a 5 speed conversion set is available any longer? That was a reasonable way to get int a 6 speed.

HogMike

I have a similar build on my softail and with the added power I went with a larger trans pulley that allows cruising at a little higher speed before I get to the vibration zone.
I've toyed with the idea of a 6 speed for this bike but it's used for mainly day rides with a passenger and is not worth the $$$ to do this and end up with he same overall top gear ratio.
This bike is very smooth except about 2800-3000 rpm.

I DID go with the baker 6 speed in my evo with the S&S motor and there is a vibration at about 2800 rpm but over or under that very smooth.

Maybe try the pulley first to see if that works assuming that the engine is ok. It's a easy cheap way to find out and with the 95" you'll have good power to pull it.

JMHO
HOGMIKE
SoCal

nibroc

the 34t pulley on my 99 flstc and 98 flhtc is useless trying to follow anyone running 45 or 50

........................................ :chop:..................................... :turd:

wolf_59

Quote from: HogMike on February 14, 2021, 05:16:11 AM

I have a similar build on my softail and with the added power I went with a larger trans pulley that allows cruising at a little higher speed before I get to the vibration zone.
I've toyed with the idea of a 6 speed for this bike but it's used for mainly day rides with a passenger and is not worth the $$$ to do this and end up with he same overall top gear ratio.
This bike is very smooth except about 2800-3000 rpm.

I DID go with the baker 6 speed in my evo with the S&S motor and there is a vibration at about 2800 rpm but over or under that very smooth.

Maybe try the pulley first to see if that works assuming that the engine is ok. It's a easy cheap way to find out and with the 95" you'll have good power to pull it.

JMHO
I had considered the 6 speed years ago but came to the same conclusion

Bladesmith

Quote from: nibroc on February 14, 2021, 05:35:35 AM
the 34t pulley on my 99 flstc and 98 flhtc is useless trying to follow anyone running 45 or 50

........................................ :chop:..................................... :turd:

I can't understand why, could you please elaborate ?

MikeL

I have a 2002 Fatboy 98cid carb, gear drive cams all the goodies. Very little almost unnoticeable vibration. Rear view mirrors clear or vibration free. I have 2 touring bikes 2000rkc and 2007 ultra they have noticeable vibration at idle and a little at highway speeds. The softail is smoother than the touring bikes. I have around the same mileage and was kind of worried about the balance tensioners. As of now I'm not worrying about the balancers
Have you tried checking for tightness the  engine and trans mounting bolts. Or the engine bracket between the heads by the horn.

MIKE

nibroc

Quote from: Bladesmith on February 15, 2021, 10:24:00 AM

...........at 50 mph you are luggung the motor in 5th gear with the 34t

nibroc

at 50 mph you will be lugging the motor

Hossamania

Quote from: nibroc on February 17, 2021, 09:06:10 AM

...........at 50 mph you are luggung the motor in 5th gear with the 34t

At 50 mph you should not be using 5th gear, no matter which pulley you are using.. Especially if you are trying to accelerate in any way to "keep up" with other riders.