April 25, 2024, 07:20:38 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1995 heritage softail

Started by dubepj, March 14, 2021, 04:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubepj

Just tested the  softail to find out my range.  I got 162 miles before I had to switch to reserve.  Does that seem about right?  Only got about 16 Miles on reserve.  Then added gas from my Jerry can to get to service station.   Was hoping to get more miles per tank.

WML57

One tank doesn't mean much. Take an average over ten tanks.

Hossamania

March 14, 2021, 06:15:19 PM #2 Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 06:19:40 PM by Hossamania
Is that the 4.2 gallon tank, or the 5 gallon?
Edit: if the standard softail and not the Nostalgia/Special, it is 4.2 gallons. (Not sure if the Special is 5 gallons or not.)
4.2 x 40 mpg = 168 miles. Seems like yours is just right.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Burnout

Yep, I'd be quite happy with that mileage.

But how does it run? No flat spots?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Dan89flstc

That is normal range for OEM 4.2 gallon tanks.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

JW113

The 4.2 tank does hold a little bit more than that, I think back when I'd drain the tank completely, do what ever I was doing to the motor, then put 1 gal back in the tanks and head to the gas station, it would take about 3.4 gallons to fill it up. However 16 miles on reserve seems a little low to me.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hossamania

The reserve on that bike is approximately 1/2 gallon, so about 20 miles, 16 miles doesn't seem out of line.

dubepj

I'll pull the gas valve out and check screen to make all is OK in there.  It has the Vacuum operated valve and there is a recall on that that was never done.   My HD dealer said they would do it for me when I brought the bike in.  Not bad service.  Thanks for all replies.  Bike runs nice.  No flat spots or popping on decell.  I'm not going to win races.  Its a bit low on power but it's stock.  I may go for a cam later.  but it runs so nice i may just ride it.  At 69 years old really not in a big rush  to get there.

thumper 823

I would throw the vacuum  thing away-its just a matter of time B4 it makes it quits
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

Hossamania

Quote from: thumper 823 on March 16, 2021, 01:07:27 PM
I would throw the vacuum  thing away-its just a matter of time B4 it makes it quits

If you are going to keep a vacuum operated petcock, buy a new one, or if it is replaced under recall, all the better.
Replace your vacuum and fuel lines if it has not already been done., they are 26 years old.