May 03, 2024, 07:08:55 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

cylinder height

Started by randallwhitman, November 12, 2008, 07:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randallwhitman

Does anyone know if a 4 1/2" stroke uses stock height shovel cylinders?   ???
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

shovelbill

November 12, 2008, 09:16:19 PM #1 Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 09:20:26 PM by shovelbill
randall,
i'm almost positive (99.9%) if you want to make it an 84" it will use the stock height cylinder, which is 5.330" tall.
build it, bust it.....figure out why

bob_e95482

My 84 incher uses my stock length jugs. But I believe if you go big bore, you'll need longer cylinders.

randallwhitman

November 13, 2008, 06:31:36 PM #3 Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 06:41:23 PM by randallwhitman
The motor's been built for years with Axtell 3 13/16" bore jugs.  I'm just changing exhaust, and I'm wondering about the exhaust port spread.  Why would a big bore require longer jugs?  Years ago it was an SnS Sidewinder kit at 4 3/4" stroke, and that required .250 (or .200?) longer jugs.  It's currently 4 1/2" stroke.  Randy
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

76shuvlinoff

Randy,
how's that set-up hold up and run for you?    Someday I'd like to do that on my 93"er staying with the 4.5 inch stroke.
It's an S&S mill so I'm not worried about cutting on factory cases or heads.

$omeday

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

KingofCubes

Here's a 93" that I just did for Keith Crane from Wisconsin, It's going in a 83 FXRS.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

bob_e95482

I just looked on J&P and their Super Sidewinder 3 5/8" jugs are used for 4 1/2, 4 5/8, and 4 3/4 strokes. They are .200" longer than stock. My thinking is piston heights and clearance at the bottom of the stroke.

Old Crow

My '82 FLT has an S&S 4 3/4" stroker kit in it. I'm using stock length cylinders with stock 3 1/2" bore for 92".  I've got it apart at the moment and just had all the machine work done to freshen the top end.  The pistons have some *really* short skirts on 'em because of the stroke and had to come directly from S&S.  :beer: :beer:
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

randallwhitman

November 15, 2008, 10:07:41 AM #8 Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 10:29:48 AM by randallwhitman
Mark......My setup, and all of them, start out at 102.7 cu. in.  Mine's .030 over.  My shovel is my bomb around town bike, but I do take it on a 400 mile round trip on the Key West Poker Run every year....in rather exteme heat.  I'm sure I ride less than 4,000 miles a year.  Seems fine.  Had the heads off recently for new rocker boxes and the bores were a little on the smooth side, but no oil usage to speak of and zero smoke.  When the heads came off, my favorite wrench (I'm getting too old to bend over a bike for very long) talked me into getting rid of my Jerry Branch heads (HD) and going with SnS heads.  I'm sure he wanted my old heads for a project bike.  The old Jerry heads had been milled .045 and the motor had about a 9.8:1 CR.  The SnS heads got a mild port job and no milling.  The bike really hauled ass with Jerry's heads and it's still pretty strong.  With the old heads, I had to set the timing at 26 degrees......any more and it would knock.  I love it....great setup.  Only quirk about it is that you have to plumb the heads with a fitting to get the oil back to the cases with a rubber hose.  The Axtell jugs are so big that there's no room for the oil return hole.  Go for it.  Bore the cases, and buy jugs and pistons, plumb the heads, and haul ass!
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX