May 04, 2024, 07:48:10 AM

News:

Which Exhaust Gaskets to Use

Started by 2001FLSTC, November 12, 2008, 08:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2001FLSTC

I have V&H Straight Shots on my Heritage (probably put on in 2001 when the bike was new; I didn't put them on).  They're very discoloured, blue, sort of rusty on the unshielded parts...especially the rear pipe.

I like the look and sound of Straight Shots (kind of the original drag pipe I guess) so I decided to break down and buy the Straight Shots HS (fully heat shielded).  No different performance than the pipes that are on it.....nothing but lookin' better.

My question is which exhaust gaskets should I use?  The stock H-D ones or the Screamin' Eagle exhaust gaskets.  The engine has only Stage 1; otherwise stock (pipes and the K&N air cleaner).

Mike52

November 12, 2008, 08:31:02 PM #1 Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 07:33:10 PM by Mike52
Most will tell you to use the S.E., they will also tell you the stock gaskets will/can protrude into the exhaust port impeding flow. I have used a lot of stock exhaust gaskets on stock heads without any protruding or other problems. For a performance build where the heads have been ported or for '06-later heads with a smaller flange in the exhaust port, I use the copper Kuryakyn Wild Things exhaust gaskets made by Cometic. JMO

Mike

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

seventhson

With the type of bead on V&H pipes, I have always
had better luck with the SE gaskets. Easier to see
if the pipe is seated right.
Mark
It's better to burn out than fade away!!

Don D

Cometic has a slick beaded steel gasket, also the new 08ups are using a gasket that looks like the other stock material nut it is on a steeper taper and matches the new pipes that are tapered. Carries an old part number -85 or something??? Don't know the origin but these are nice too. FatboySir would have the number from the 08 model year intro literature, he is a walking library

L-

Only two gaskets I use are the stock ones on stock exhaust ports or the old White Brothers metal that I use on modified exhaust ports.  You cannot get these anymore that I know of so I am keeping my supply.  I would use the ones that Mikes uses out of copper.  These can be used on any exhaust port and they work great.

mayor

Quote from: Deweysheads on November 12, 2008, 09:09:50 PM
Cometic has a slick beaded steel gasket

:up:  I just used one of these to replace an SE gasket that kept loosening.  I think gofast also recommended them last year.
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

x52gnr

I have tried several types and have had the most luck with the oe Harley gaskets. All the others I have used would leak or loosen up over time, never had that problem with the oe. OE seem to be a bit thicker also :dgust:
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

Scurvy

Like seventhson pointed out, I found it depends on the shoulder of the exhaust flange. My bassani pro streets were a deep, flat flange and only worked with SE gaskets. My V&H are shouldered and (V&H also recommends) work best with stock H-D.
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

Faast Ed

I've had the SE's loosen up on me before.  Quite annoying.
≡Faast Ed>

Don D

FSG

I use the stock gaskets and with the V&H on my Fatty, I also double clip the pipe so it's easier to get the exhaust flange right.

Sonny S.

No matter what gaskets I use I always check them again after a few days of riding....always need snugged again, then good to go after that. Never had a problem with SE's that way.
I also always use lock washers or locking flange nuts.