April 26, 2024, 06:35:22 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

03 Rk saddle bag support bracket tab broken ?

Started by starrider, April 30, 2021, 02:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starrider

April 30, 2021, 02:51:43 PM Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 02:56:08 PM by starrider
Hi Guys ... The saddle bag support bracket that runs down the rear fender broke at the bottom near tab. It also carries the weight of the exhaust mufflers. Replaced the other side already. Seems this a common problem.

Also does this contributed to the crack left rear header that needed replacement?

I know some guys go true duals or two into one exhaust...however i prefer to stay with current stock set up. And think that the place where these saddle bag brackets break takes too much stress... is there a common fix...yes heard a lot of guys get them rewelded or use angle iron and fabricate a cheap fix...ideas?

Thanks in advance! :wink:

Hossamania

The cracked header right behind the rear cylinder is pretty common, broken bracket or not. Welding it back up seems to work as well or better than replacing the header, replacements often break again. The bracket right there behind the header is also prone to breaking, causing the header break too.
As far as the bag brackets, replace, weld, fabricate extra bracing, those are your choices, also pretty common. You might try loosening and re tighten every thing to make sure nothing is binding.
The rear bumper is also prone to breakage.
Don't overload the bags, check your engine mounts, put lighter mufflers on. All helps, but still a common issue.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Fugawee

I had the saddle-bag tab break on a 94' FLHTC, and an 03' FLHTCUI.  Both broke on the left side bottom.  At the time, I just rewelded them, and neatened them up.  Later on, while wandering around E-bay, I found a couple of complete left/right side sets for about $20, or $25 a set, in excellent shape.  So, I just bought and replaced them.  I also added rubber isolators up at the top, where it is attached to the fender bracket...so far, so good.  I cracked the "Y" pipe on the 94' once.  I don't remember, or know if the saddle-bag bracket had anything to do with it.  That too...I just welded up.  Again, later on...both Bikes exhaust systems were replaced with true duals.  I think that My saddle-bag bracket issues were due to Me.  I traditionally ride "heavy".  Too much stuff in the bags.  I wound up eliminating some things, and balancing out the load a little more equal on each side.  I had always thought it was pretty well balanced...but it didn't seem to hurt.  I haven't had any problems since.  I do know some that welded up a thin piece of steel that they had laying around on the inside of the bracket, as kind of a "backbone".
Cracked a latch or two on the Tour-Paks over the years as well...but those are stories for some other time.
Just in case You want to find replacements, and don't have this info...Here You go,
#90718-79C=Left Side
#90720-79C=Right Side

pendo31

Drag Specialties makes them and they are stronger and cheaper than factory.
East Providence, RI

starrider

motorhogman

Quote from: pendo31 on April 30, 2021, 05:35:37 PM
Drag Specialties makes them and they are stronger and cheaper than factory.

:up:

Replaced my left side with Drag a while ago.. Quality looked better and the material is thicker. 01 FLHT
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

03rg

billbuilds

According to the Drag Spec catalog they have some of the left side in their Wisconsin warehouse but no right side in any of them untill atleast 5/14.

Quote from: 03rg on May 02, 2021, 04:17:00 AM
I used these about 7 years ago on a 03 Road Glide. zero problems since.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/230784160558?ViewItem=&item=230784160558&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160

Those look like the ticket.  Thanks for posting

[
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

03rg