April 27, 2024, 01:32:45 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Hitachi Starter Coils?

Started by dusty_shovel, November 12, 2008, 08:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dusty_shovel

Need to order a stator and regulator. Called Jireh to place order and they now require $100 before they'll ship for free. Sigh. OK, well, the starter sounds pretty weak and I've read about people putting in new coils and brushes instead of new starters so I thought I'd check into that.

79FXS. Should be a Hitachi-type starter. Right? Well, there's a kit for Hitachis that include brushes, holders and a bushing, but no option for coils for a Hitachi on Jireh or J&P. Only starter coils I could find are for Prestolite starters.

The parts book lists 31579-73 as a frame and field coils. Are the coils integrated into the frame on Hitachis? Or, can you get coils by themselves someplace?

Wait. A couple of places like Mas Classics and Taiwan Ted's have the coils for $45 or so. I know y'all aren't too fond of the non-USA stuff Ted's sells. Think the coils might be OK. Regulator too? Maybe? OK, OK, it's a gamble. If I can't do it right now, when will I be able to do it right.

Thanks

Dusty
Really. I swear I just had one!

Lew

On Hitachi starters that still worked but were weak I've installed the brush kit and cleaned the carbon out from between the commutator segments with good success.  Usually the coils don't become weak unless they are open, shorted and/or go to ground. This can happen to the armature also.  Most likely the starter will be good as new with just the brush kit and a cleaning.  The shop manual has an easy to follow procedure for checking the armature and field coils.
Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

76shuvlinoff

I agree with lewy, a new set of brushes (and springs, make sure there are springs in the "kit") can make a world of difference. That said I did put the new coils in my prestolite when I went to 93" and used the wrong cam.

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

fergy1940

dusty
Not sure but check to be sure it is not a prestolite being a 1979.
Fergy
I'm bored.