April 26, 2024, 01:04:37 PM

News:

What Are You Getting?

Started by WhipLash96, May 11, 2021, 06:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhipLash96

For those with a 124 and running a carb: What are you guys getting for fuel mileage when you aren't on the throttle hard? If that's even a thing? :nix:

I'm getting just over 34 mpg riding solo and on state highways and county roads. The weather has been unusually cooler for this time of year up here in Minnesota. Just trying to benchmark.... Thanks
Thanks,
Whip

Hybredhog

with a CV51, I'm getting 38-40 Hwy, if I drive like an adult. But you may as well use a funnel if your 3/4 ^  throttle.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

rking1550

Quote from: WhipLash96 on May 11, 2021, 06:42:04 AM
For those with a 124 and running a carb: What are you guys getting for fuel mileage when you aren't on the throttle hard? If that's even a thing? :nix:

I'm getting just over 34 mpg riding solo and on state highways and county roads. The weather has been unusually cooler for this time of year up here in Minnesota. Just trying to benchmark.... Thanks

I've got a 120"  with a Bob Woods king 505 cv51 carb. My fuel milage is about the same as yours.
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

bobrk1

Also  depends  on  the  cam , I  had  a  110 with  a  45 mikuni  was  upper  30s  but  cam didn't  come  on till 3k  change  cam for  riding  2 up and  loaded . Had  great  power  right  off idle  but  mileage  dropped  a lot  because  was  always  making  power

Don D

An afr meter would have revealed other than your theory.

WhipLash96

Quote from: HD Street Performance on May 12, 2021, 05:47:52 AM
An afr meter would have revealed other than your theory.

Theory? It was actual math that told me what my fuel mileage is.   :scratch:
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Ok, so I was able to get the bike on the dyno to get a more accurate AFR reading for the pilot circuit. Here is what we found. 1. For some reason the shop that tuned the bike said that there is a 44 pilot in it but there is a 42. The steady state pilot AFR is in the high 12's. There isn't much more that I can do or that I want to do. my original plan for when i did the 124 that I was going to break it in on the carb and then switch it to EFI. I kind of waffled back and forth with the EFI conversion a little bit, but, since I have everything to do it I am going to go ahead and do it over the winter. It is time!

Thanks everyone for their opinions and advice!
Thanks,
Whip

HogMike

My 113 gets about 36-42 depending how I ride.
That's with a S&S G. It's so well mannered I'm leaving it alone!
:potstir:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Ohio HD

My 124" sees 40 to 42 MPG when you just ride it.

I have an 8,800 lb. truck that gets 17 MPG......

NHBagger

Quote from: Ohio HD on June 03, 2021, 03:55:54 PM

Ha, bet it's a RAM!

Ohio HD

Quote from: NHBagger on June 03, 2021, 04:15:00 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on June 03, 2021, 03:55:54 PM

Ha, bet it's a RAM!

Yes it is. 2019 2500 4x4

klammer76

Quote from: WhipLash96 on June 03, 2021, 02:05:20 PM
Ok, so I was able to get the bike on the dyno to get a more accurate AFR reading for the pilot circuit. Here is what we found. 1. For some reason the shop that tuned the bike said that there is a 44 pilot in it but there is a 42. The steady state pilot AFR is in the high 12's. There isn't much more that I can do or that I want to do. my original plan for when i did the 124 that I was going to break it in on the carb and then switch it to EFI. I kind of waffled back and forth with the EFI conversion a little bit, but, since I have everything to do it I am going to go ahead and do it over the winter. It is time!

I converted my 2002 in 2019 from carb to Delphi EFI. Very simple to do. Interestingly, my MPG is slightly worse with the EFI (40mm CV to 51mm HPI throttle body). I documented the change here on HTT.

WhipLash96

Quote from: klammer76 on June 03, 2021, 06:10:05 PM
Quote from: WhipLash96 on June 03, 2021, 02:05:20 PM

I converted my 2002 in 2019 from carb to Delphi EFI. Very simple to do. Interestingly, my MPG is slightly worse with the EFI (40mm CV to 51mm HPI throttle body). I documented the change here on HTT.

Unfortunately I think there is something wrong with this 51mm that I have. I spoke to Bob Woods and he thinks that there is something wrong with one of three passages that would cost me in the neighborhood of $700 to fix. That is just a really small pilot jet, especially for a 124. I thinks that once it goes to Delphi EFI I will be up to 40-42. I have a small cam in comparison to most 124's.

Thanks,
Whip