April 26, 2024, 11:05:11 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

oil filter nearly empty at oil change

Started by scoopfraser, June 04, 2021, 11:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoopfraser

I have a 2000 FXD with a 3 Guyz filter relocation kit mounted on the frame downtube.  I am also running a K&P filter.  This setup is still new to me but I have been noticing that when doing an oil change and removing the filter (usually the next day when things have cooled), there seems to be very little oil in the filter.  I realize the K&P filters don't have an anti-drainback valve but since the filter sits upside down with the relocation kit I *assumed* it would be full since the oil shouldn't be defying  gravity.  Anyway, it seems to build pressure quickly when first started (idiot light goes off quickly), but the whole thing doesn't make sense to me.

If anyone has any experience with this I'd appreciate your input.

Thank you,
Sean
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

koko3052

Next oil change, remove the filter when hot & see if any difference. :nix:

mrmike

June 04, 2021, 08:47:11 PM #2 Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 08:53:00 PM by mrmike
I'm also running the 3 guys setup only using the Purepower reusable filter which does have a ball check valve. This is on an 03 RK.

Just did my fluid changes last week for the season and as always the filter was full of oil but the bike was also just back from a half hour ride to heat up the oil.

May be possible that a siphon occurs while sitting with no check valve and that's how your losing the oil ?

Just spitballin

Mike

I'm not leaving til I have a good time

scoopfraser

Thanks guys...next oil change I'll try taking off the filter when hot and see what the result is.  I don't like the idea of the filter being "emptied" when sitting overnight though.

2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

mrmike

Just as a follow up I was doing some maintenance on the bike a couple of days ago. It had been sitting for a few days so I decided to see if the filter was full or like your bike had drained.

It was full.

Mike

tomcat64

Quote from: scoopfraser on June 04, 2021, 11:32:20 AM
I have a 2000 FXD with a 3 Guyz filter relocation kit mounted on the frame downtube.  I am also running a K&P filter.  This setup is still new to me but I have been noticing that when doing an oil change and removing the filter (usually the next day when things have cooled), there seems to be very little oil in the filter.  I realize the K&P filters don't have an anti-drainback valve but since the filter sits upside down with the relocation kit I *assumed* it would be full since the oil shouldn't be defying  gravity.  Anyway, it seems to build pressure quickly when first started (idiot light goes off quickly), but the whole thing doesn't make sense to me.

If anyone has any experience with this I'd appreciate your input.

Thank you,

what is the purpose of relocating the filter?
Sean

scoopfraser

Tomcat, I did it to make oil changes less messy and to get the filter out into the wind.

Mike, that's interesting.  Thanks for the follow up.  Does your setup require your oil to run uphill?
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

mrmike

The filter is above its original position if that's what you mean.

scoopfraser

Your set up is basically identical to mine including the color change of the anodizing.
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

mrmike

It's not purple it's "gunmetal"

Well that's my story anyway. Lol

Other than that they work really well.

Mike