April 25, 2024, 11:44:52 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Filter Element

Started by Deye76, June 07, 2021, 12:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deye76

Have run several open air filters in the last 17 years, never had one do this. First time out with it on my M8, was going pretty fast, what would cause it to distort?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

koko3052

Wet, too tight (no spacer between back of filter & mount), cheap filter?   :nix:

Deye76

Not wet, followed instructions, used a torque wrench, so that leaves cheap filter.  My thoughts initially.   :angry: Not cheap, money wise :wink:

kouack

A shot in the dark, Squeezed with your legs?

04 SE Deuce

I would have guessed clamped to tight...

rigidthumper

Looks like an Arlen Ness unit- IMO, they make their stand off posts just a bit too short, putting a bit too much pressure on the filter. You might try a 1/4"AN washer under each post, with loctite, and relieve the pressure while still getting a good seal.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Deye76

Quote from: rigidthumper on June 07, 2021, 01:22:47 PM
Looks like an Arlen Ness unit- IMO, they make their stand off posts just a bit too short, putting a bit too much pressure on the filter. You might try a 1/4"AN washer under each post, with loctite, and relieve the pressure while still getting a good seal.
Excellent advice, thank you.
It is a Arlen N, have used them before without this happening.