April 25, 2024, 10:11:29 PM

News:

Feedback on EVO Starter Gearing

Started by Don D, June 17, 2021, 06:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don D

Please provide real world experience with the Compu-Fire 10/84 Starter Gear Set VS stock 10/102

Buglet

I use the Evolution 10/84 ones when the stocks one break. All in know they hold up well.

Don D

Is there a big advantage with cranking ease?

Burnout

I think the coarse teeth hold up better.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

kd

No experience with this change but I do have an opinion.  :teeth:  I would think because it should crank faster, it'll lite up better (sooner) without prolonged cranking to get it rolling.  That would likely be contingent on having a good battery with decent CCA.  Heavy cables would be helpful too. 
KD

Don D

This is a 96" older S&S motor that is eating drive gears and ring gear

kd

Don, do you know if it has a prolonged cranking before it starts or kick back because it isn't flipping it quick enough?  Maybe excessive on hot starts?  Does the wear damage show up in the ring gear in conjunction with any compression phase?
KD

Burnout

Quote from: HD Street Performance on June 18, 2021, 08:04:24 AM
This is a 96" older S&S motor that is eating drive gears and ring gear

If it's not lifters leaking down, look at the ignition.
The last one I fought with this issue on was due to the lack of a VOES and ignition in race mode.

Another possible cause is aftermarket primary covers play fast and loose with placement of the starter parts.
Particularly the outer jackshaft bearing location. Some covers have the bearing at different depths.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Deye76

Agree with KD on the cables. Some heavy duty starter mfg's. require a minimum requirement on cable ga.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

lumberjacklloyd

9/66 starter set up is by far the most durable. I have no problem starting a 9.8:1 111 with 25/36 primary gearing.

Do you have compression releases?