May 08, 2024, 08:54:58 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

08 XL1200N Oil Consumption

Started by JordanrHart, June 01, 2009, 06:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JordanrHart

I've got an 08 XL1200N. I've put 18K on it this year. I love it. Ever since I put a 2-1 exhuast, an intake and dyno'd it, the thing is burning oil. Stock it hardly burned a drop. Now it burns about 1/2 a quart every 250 miles. I run Red Line 20-60HD. No smoke in the exhuast. Not blowing down into the tranny. WTF? Any ideas?

96FLSTF

08 it still should be under warranty maybe. I would think that is excessive oil consumption. At least when my 05 RK was under warranty I had asked about the bad valve seals the dealer stated anything 1 qt. or more in 1000 miles they considered a problem.
Can't hurt to try.

Gene
05 95" FLHRSI
96 FLSTF ("Street Stalker")

neale

When I upgraded the pipes and intake on my 02 Sporty it did the same thing straight away too. It must have something to do with the showroom standard air-box and associated plumbing.

Bigs

My '05 1200C hasn't used any oil since new. I had the stage 1 put on when I bought it then later went to a thunderheader and 7,000rpm ign module- no oil usage. Next I went to SE performance cams, 44mm SE carb, and D&D Fat Cat and it still doesn't use oil and I don't baby it. I use Amsoil 20W-50.
   Bigs

JordanrHart

So I took my bike into the dealer to see if I had a warranty issue on my hand;
Turns out I have cooked rings and a scored cylider. 33% leak down on the rear cylinder, the front is fine.
Thank god for the two year warranty.

Panzer

JordanrHart,
Thanks for the feedback.
Let us know what caused it when you find out.
TIA,
Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.