manual tensioner or spring auto tensioner primary twin cam

Started by dieselbeef, July 02, 2021, 12:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dieselbeef

title says it all..pros and cons of either one

dont wanna be doing the tensioner every oil change..besides..breakout dont have an access cover so its the whole thing everytime...

02roadcling

Manual. If the chain is already stretched it should be good for a very long time.

cling
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

smoserx1

:agree:

Absolutely agree with that...it has been by experience for a very long time now.

kd

The late model OEM tensioner works fairly well. I beat the living daylights out of my 2011 120" for several years now and have never found it to be out of adjustment.  You can actually get a peek at it through the derby and get a rod in there to lift it and check deflection.
KD

hattitude

I have to agree with using the newer HD auto tensioner.....

The problematic #39929-06A that became OEM across the HD line-up in 2007, was updated in 2010 to the #39929-06B.

Since that change, it seems to be working fairly well...

I have run the "B" version in 2 baggers with 3 different engines. A Stage I, a Stage II, and a 124" crate engine... It worked well in all three set-ups. I never found my primary chain to tight, nor did I get any bad noises from the primary. I don't ride them real hard, but I gave them a work out from time to time..

The improvements HD made, allowed the auto tensioner to adjust in smaller increments (smaller and less teeth on the ramps), and it was "beefed up" to flex less (which was believed to contribute to the over adjusting/tightening).

Here's a pic of the "A" and the "B" version tensioners... the "B" version is on the top

FXDBI

I have a 2006 Dyna with the original auto tension shoe, I set mine and tac welded it, no problems since.
Bob

Karl H.

Auto adjuster works well as long as the crank runout is o.k.

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

Armin

I installed the autotensioner in the primary drive of my 2001 FLSTCI since the company introduced it and it's been troublefree for the last 100.000 KM.

Armin.
Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!

dieselbeef

evolution told me use the stock one in my 17 103..im changing the primary drive sprocket to a no compensator with 30 teeth for a better lower gearing

im assuming it has the newer auto adj one then..the B model above

Chief0299

If you do a search, you'll find that there's a bunch of folks who report increased noise from the primary when they switched to a manual tensioner. The consensus that I found was that the aggressive ramp led to the chain being flung around and making a bunch of horrible noise. Mine is doing the same thing after swapping to a solid sprocket and manual tensioner. Ive checked the tension multiple times and its good. I'm in the process of moving and all my tools are packed. I have every intention of putting the stock tensioner back in as soon as I can.

dieselbeef

cool..evelution says use the stock one so i will then...im losing the compensator and going to a 32 tooth

kouack

Quote from: dieselbeef on July 08, 2021, 09:33:53 AM
cool..evelution says use the stock one so i will then...im losing the compensator and going to a 32 tooth
Stock chain tensioner will not work with a 32 tooth sprocket unless you use a special shoe that click on or go with a 30 tooth and shorter chain.

e-glide90

Picked up new tensioner yesterday, didn't look at it til I got home.  New version, # 39929-06C  shoe is different color, otherwise same look. ( shoe made in Italy )   Installed so no pictures.  Anybody know when these started ?

dieselbeef

Quote from: kouack on July 08, 2021, 12:31:51 PM
Quote from: dieselbeef on July 08, 2021, 09:33:53 AM
Stock chain tensioner will not work with a 32 tooth sprocket unless you use a special shoe that click on or go with a 30 tooth and shorter chain.

yessir..came witha new chain also..sporkcet chain and spacer...be my first time in a primary other than oil changes..cant wait..wanna make a pass at the strip first tho
see what the diff is after

NHBagger

Interested in this thread. Running a Baker unit in my 14 Tri Glide and I seem to get a lot of clatter. Was thinking of trying a Motorway Vulcan but they are out of stock. Seems the automatics reviews are getting better?

jmorton10

The only manual adjuster that is a piece of junk is the Baker Attitude Adjuster.  All the others work fine.

I had the original version of the Baker & the bracket bent so badly it was unusable. The second version is called the "armored" attitude adjuster.  Baker sells a kit to update the original version to the armored version.  That is also junk.  I bought the "upgrade kit"   It was clattering like crazy & when I pulled the primary again, the shoe was broken & the armored part was laying in the primary in two pieces.

I have the Twin Power in there now & no more problems.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

NHBagger

jmorton10

Quote from: NHBagger on July 12, 2021, 05:02:44 PM
John, thought you ran a Vulcan?

I was when I had a 32t engine sprocket.

The Vulcan wouldn't work with the 30 but the twin power does.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

hattitude

Quote from: e-glide90 on July 08, 2021, 04:06:58 PM
Picked up new tensioner yesterday, didn't look at it til I got home.  New version, # 39929-06C  shoe is different color, otherwise same look. ( shoe made in Italy )   Installed so no pictures.  Anybody know when these started ?

Cool....

The Italians are known for their quality shoes.....    :SM:

kd

KD

Rusticwater

Quote from: e-glide90 on July 08, 2021, 04:06:58 PM

The "B" version I installed over the winter with my new SE comp had been manufactured fairly recently and from Italy too. Here's a photo of its box (note the date) and installed with the new comp:

[attach=0]
[attach=1]

Support the Maine lobster industry