April 26, 2024, 03:35:29 PM

News:

Does EITMS Work?

Started by Jim Bronson, July 07, 2021, 07:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

It is getting pretty toasty around here, and I'm thinking of activating EITMS for the summer season. I don't have a temperature gauge, so I'm wondering whether it really works.

Thanks.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Ohio HD

It allows the rear cylinder to cool as it stops running at idle at higher engine temperatures. The front cylinder is still running and when sitting still will still get hotter as it sits in traffic idling. I always turn it off.

If it's that hot, you need to get it out of traffic and stop idling the motor. 

kd

Use the heavier weight oil per your manual and consider a good full synthetic brand.  Good full Syn oil DOES perform better in heat than Dyno.
KD

Just Nick

In my opinion no it does not work. It causes more wear and tear on the crank then it benefits anything else. That's just my opinion though.
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

Karl H.

Right! The EITMS is just a comfort feature for rider and passenger preventing burned legs by using the rear cylinder as an air pump. As said already it is not good for the engine.

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

Wookie3011

Going to have to agree with the rest. Anytime it has kicked on for me its done zero to cool the motor. I never considered the forces on the crank. Interesting

Appowner

You're better off with a quality oil cooler sporting a couple of fans.  Of course if you're like me you consider that a fuggly solution.  OK for a bagger but not a more basic bike.  IMHO

But the alternative is to change some of your riding habits so you don't sit in traffic idling.  Not always easy either.

Jim Bronson

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll leave it off. I can't believe it would make much difference for the short time the cylinder is deactivated. I agree that the constant on-off cycling in traffic wouldn't be good for engine wear. I don't usually ride when the temp gets above the low 90s, so we're not talking Death Valley rides.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

MaxxV4

Mine has been activated but has not come on for a long time. (Made me wonder if it still worked.) Just last week, we we westbound on I-80 when traffic came to a standstill. It took 25 minutes to reach an exit that was less than 4 miles away. This in near 100 degree temps. The eitms did come on in that situation. If nothing else, I use it as a sign to get off the road and cool down.