April 26, 2024, 10:13:01 AM

News:

Another ET sensor

Started by fleetmechanic, July 18, 2021, 06:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleetmechanic

2012 FLHP with 37K miles.  Rider complained it was running rough at all temps and getting worse. No codes and plugs look fine so I went straight to the ET sensor.  Runs fine now.  This makes 2 of them on 2 of our 2012 models in just a few months. I'll guess I'll keep at least one in stock now.

rigidthumper

Do these bikes spend more time idling than moving? I wonder what is causing this?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

PoorUB

July 18, 2021, 07:51:49 PM #2 Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 08:07:55 PM by PoorUB
I believe that Harley had a run of bad ET sensors in 2012. It seems if someone mentions they had to replace a sensor, or if they are having weird running problems which eventually is cured by a ET sensor it is a 2012 bike. My buddy had one and we logged engine data and the engine temp temp was at 70 degrees, all the time.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

rigidthumper

fleetmechanic

Quote from: rigidthumper on July 18, 2021, 07:39:31 PM
Do these bikes spend more time idling than moving? I wonder what is causing this?
The bikes are generally running normally with some idling in intersections until the procession has cleared, and the first one was on an FLHTP sidecar model that only runs on snow days.  The second one was on a Road King that runs the rest of the year.  Nothing really in common except the 2012 model year.

louloupa

There is no sensor ET on the Twin cam,  there is a cylinder head temperature sensor and an IAT. ET is a calculation made by the ECM ( i don' t know how ) .

rigidthumper

Item 5 on this page is 32446-99 "SENSOR, ENGINE TEMPERATURE".

fleetmechanic

Quote from: rigidthumper on July 19, 2021, 04:48:17 AM
Good. Since that is what I replaced.

louloupa

That's what I was saying, it's the cylinder head temperature sensor.
When we do a recording with the power vision, we have the two items: Cylinder head temp and ET, they are not the same thing.

Coyote

Quote from: louloupa on July 19, 2021, 09:36:19 AM

When we do a recording with the power vision, we have the two items: Cylinder head temp and ET, they are not the same thing.

This topic has nothing to do with tuning or how the ECM displays it. The sensor is the ET sensor.

HogMike

Quote from: louloupa on July 19, 2021, 09:36:19 AM

There may be some confusion there. The 32446-99 is the engine temperature sensor.
It is screwed into the left side of the front head. It will read temp at that point and send that value to the ECM.
The ECM takes that reading (plus inputs from othe sensors) and adjusts fuel and spark accordingly. It will also determine when to activate the EITMS on some bikes.
This is just an overview of what the ECM does on a limited basis. Depending on the year and model of the bike (2012 in this case) will dictate what and when the ECM will make changes.
The engine temperature is measured by the 32446-99 sensor. The actual temperature of the crankcase or oil temp may be different.
JMHO
:potstir:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

PoorUB

Only one guy is confused!

The engine temp sensor screws into the front cylinder head . HD calls it an engine temp sensor, not a head temp sensor, so the nomenclature is correct. Yes HD uses some voodoo to actually come up with the engine temp which like Coyote said, has nothing to do with the problem.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

kd

.... and with an evo it is screwed into the top of the front cylinder head but still called the same thing.   :wink:  I carry a spare on long trips because of previous failures.
KD

No Cents

I have an 08 FLHX that goes thru an engine ET sensor every 2- 3 years for some reason.  :nix:  I've check voltage at the connector numerous times and it checks out okay with the proper voltage. It's got good continuity on the ground too. I can tell like fleetmechanic stated about the bike starting to run bad. When mine acts up...I replace the ET sensor and it's back to running normal again.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

fleetmechanic

WE have a now retired 1997 FLHTPI that needed a new ET sensor about every 8,000 miles.  It became almost too predictable.

kd

Both of my 98 sidecar rigs have gone through a couple.  There is no engine code thrown for the failure but like No Cents and you have said, once you know the symptoms .... you know the rest.
KD