May 02, 2024, 03:45:54 AM

News:

getting com port.

Started by happyman, June 01, 2009, 07:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyman

was going to try a differant map today for the first time.. got thinkgs all hooked up and tried and it says the  usb com port   needed to be set i think  is what it said. i finally found where it tells about it but i its a bit confusing  to figure out.   i have a laptop and and its vista and i think its a 32 bit  but not sure and  there are severla choices  as i recall and would like to get this download  so i can use my laptop to install madified maps on my own.. not sure if i explain al this correct but i have an idea the peole that know the TTS  know what i am talking about. anyway anyone with good info  i am listneing .
Thanks   Happyman

Steve Cole

The com port setting comes from Windows not the TTS software. If you do not have a comm port that can be used Windows tells the program that and it will not let you select one. If you do not have a com port on your PC it will most likely have a USB port and you will need to use the USB cable kit with it. You will need to install the drivers for the USB port that are supplied on the CD and are called for in the help files as well as the Tuning guide. Go to the help file in Mastertune and search on USB, then follow the directions.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

happyman

thanks,
my laptop  needs to use the  USB  as there is no com port.  will take a look and do as needed to make itswork. I can do this without having to be in the process of installing a map i take it?
Thanks
  Happy

Steve Cole

If all you have is USB you need to install the driver for it with nothing connected to the laptop. Once the driver is installed you will need to plug in the USB adapter by itself for Windows to find it prior to opening Mastertune or DataMaster. Once Windows has it located it will tell the program there is a com port that can be used.

happyman

Thanks for the good info!! was a piece of cake. now i am going to try to figure out why my tuner cannot seem to correct my speedo. has made  four tries and all have left my speedo off by about 3 mph by a GPS. not a big deal  but i figure if i can correct it, it will be be done
Thanks   Happy

Steve Cole

Are you entering the new Speedo value when programming the ECM? You have to type the new value in when it ask you if you want to change the speedo value.

happyman

June 02, 2009, 06:33:27 PM #6 Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 06:36:35 PM by happyman
not sure  when the tuner did this.i was there but did not pay close attention. was done when a map that was tweeked was loaded into the  ECM.
So  i can do this without loading in a map?
Happyman

Steve Cole

Open Mastertune then go to "Help" then "Contents". Search on the words Speedometer Calibration. It will give you complete instructions and pictures to show you how to properly adjust the speedometer.

wavlovr1

When programming a map into the ECU, a couple of boxes pop up. The one for speedo calibration allows you to change that number. The one that comes up by default is not necessarily the same as your bike and clicking OK changed mine by about 3 degrees as well. The VSS Calculator under Tools menu alows you to select bike model and year, then gives you the correct number... Input this number in the popup box during next map install and all will be good again... I assume that the default number comes from the map you select, which in my case was off an 08 bagger (about 3% different than my 09)..

jb

happyman

so i am going to have to go back in years to get the correct gear..  i left the 32 trans sproket and  went from a  46 to a 49 tooth  clutch basket  ring gear and then did the 70 tooth rear pulley. that is a 3:15 gear now. not sure if i go back to the older bikes with the 315 gear or just do the roll out, then do the  trans pulley,then rear pully   for touring and then hit calculate it comes  up  as 2226 whcih i see now is out  of range for the 07 touring calculations. perhaps i will go to 04 touringa nd then just change the  tire rollout and it should be  ok??    but i have to wait till i do a map install?   i don't really have one for now. will later. thought i could just do the speedo recal? anyway thanks
Happyman

wavlovr1

Quote from: happyman on June 03, 2009, 10:02:31 AM
so i am going to have to go back in years to get the correct gear..  i left the 32 trans sproket and  went from a  46 to a 49 tooth  clutch basket  ring gear and then did the 70 tooth rear pulley. that is a 3:15 gear now. not sure if i go back to the older bikes with the 315 gear or just do the roll out, then do the  trans pulley,then rear pully   for touring and then hit calculate it comes  up  as 2226 whcih i see now is out  of range for the 07 touring calculations. perhaps i will go to 04 touringa nd then just change the  tire rollout and it should be  ok??    but i have to wait till i do a map install?   i don't really have one for now. will later. thought i could just do the speedo recal? anyway thanks
Happyman

You probably could just measure the percentage off by a GPS and then adjust the number by that percent. and just reuse the last map you put in it to install a map and get to that box...
That's what I was going to do before I was shown the calculator...
jb

happyman

what  number are you refering to??

Don D

You changed the primary ratio which doesn't affect the speedo accuracy. The rear pulley is what affected the ratio the speedo sees. A net 6.1% change from stock.
Wav is right, you can measure the speed and the MPH error and have a correction percentage and factor that into current frequency number for the correct number to enter. BTW from what I understand the newest maps allow correcting the primary ratio as well. Steve can clarify.

happyman

ok .  right now  my speedo says 60MPH its 62 by the GPS ocassionally 63. Speedo says 70 MPH, GPS says 72. now and again says 73.

Don D

Try multiplying your current frequency number by .955 and change the number in the software to that result then upload the changed map
Then check with GPS

Steve Cole

Primary ratio changes do not effect the speedometer but do screw with the gear selector light and cruise control. In a minor way it also screws with the tuneing as it's use to Look Forward in the code. The primary ratio can be adjusted in all .MT7 base files

happyman

Quote from: Steve Cole on June 03, 2009, 07:01:59 PM
Primary ratio changes do not effect the speedometer but do screw with the gear selector light and cruise control. In a minor way it also screws with the tuneing as it's use to Look Forward in the code. The primary ratio can be adjusted in all .MT7 base files

have no issues with the cruise, the 6th gear light don't come on. and it was difficult to see the  6th gear light whebn it did work.
Which one is it that screws with the tuning to look forward in the code? The primary ratio?
Thanks 

Don D

Correct them both and the 6th light will work and the speedo will be right.