April 26, 2024, 11:58:40 AM

News:

2012 limited regulator

Started by bobrk1, August 02, 2021, 05:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobrk1

Did  an overnight  trip  was  taking  the  back roads  home  when  battery  light  came  on  and  gauge  said  around  11 volts, so  got on highway  to  try  to  get  close  to  home . About  2 minutes  after  it came  on it went out ,stayed  on highway  for  40 miles  and  was  fine took  exit and went  back roads  home .  Guessing  regulator is going  bad can't  remember  doing  this  most  times  it  just dies, I'll  buy one  and  keep  in bag.

Hossamania

If the defective regulator is replaced, why carry another in the bags?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

fbn ent

IIRC the '12s had problems with their regulators.  I would check the stator out. Mine did pretty much the same thing. I replaced the regulator  and found that it was indeed the stator.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

kd

Follow your factory service manual test procedure. It will get you there.
KD

hattitude

The 2012 HDs had a bad batch of regulators that was dealt with via Service Bulletin M-1325. My 2012 Limited was one of the ones affected.

If you're curious, the 4 digit date code on the regulator was how they told which were affected. Like tires, the date code is the week (first two digits) and the year (last two digits).  Per the SB, the affected date codes were: 4011-5211 and 0112-0912.

As far as a spare, that was the only regulator I have had to replace...

PoorUB

Do the sniff test in the primary, make sure the stator windings burnt, do the service manual tests. Swap out what is bad and keep on riding. It might not be the regulator. I have had stators fail in the same way, stop charging, a few miles later all ok and run that way for the rest of the day. When I got home I popped of the derby cover and I could smell the failure.

I never understood the point of carrying extra parts. Chances are once the old part fails the new one will last for years. Here we have a nine year bike with a possibly failed regulator. You gonna carry around a spare for nine more years?

I know I guy that had a ignition coil fail. He carried a spare for ten years and never took it out of the box.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

fbn ent

Quote from: PoorUB on August 02, 2021, 09:46:13 AM
Do the sniff test in the primary, make sure the stator windings burnt, do the service manual tests. Swap out what is bad and keep on riding.

I never understood the point of carrying extra parts. Chances are once the old part fails the new one will last for years. Here we have a nine year bike with a possibly failed regulator. You gonna carry around a spare for nine more years?

I know I guy that had a ignition coil fail. He carried a spare for ten years and never took it out of the box.

You're right UB. I carried a head gasket in my Shovel for years and .... oops, different subject. Seems I used it often...  :SM:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

PoorUB

Quote from: fbn ent on August 02, 2021, 09:48:41 AM

You're right UB. I carried a head gasket in my Shovel for years and .... oops, different subject. Seems I used it often...  :SM:

Well, it that case you are probably justified! Later regulators and stators don't fail that often!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

koko3052

"I never understood the point of carrying extra parts. Chances are once the old part fails the new one will last for years. Here we have a nine year bike with a possibly failed regulator. You gonna carry around a spare for nine more years?"

I'm presuming the OP meant to keep running the old one & have the new one handy for replacing? Most would just do the checks & replace it while at home, in the shop.

Hossamania

Quote from: koko3052 on August 02, 2021, 12:06:43 PM
"I never understood the point of carrying extra parts. Chances are once the old part fails the new one will last for years. Here we have a nine year bike with a possibly failed regulator. You gonna carry around a spare for nine more years?"

I'm presuming the OP meant to keep running the old one & have the new one handy for replacing? Most would just do the checks & replace it while at home, in the shop.

Correct, find the problem and fix it. (Check for loose battery cables too)
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

bobrk1

The  light  has  come  on twice  in the  last  300 miles  going  out  in a  minute ,  bike  shop  said  check  cables  before  ordering  , gave  them  both  about 1/8  of a turn  never  had  a  problem  starting  like  a  bad  connection . Just  going  to  ride  and  see if  it comes  on again , if it  does  I'll  order  it  then.

Coyote

It's the regulator. They had a batch of bad ones on the 2012 bike. I had a 2012. Does exactly as you describe before it fails completely.

bobrk1

Yeah  I already  replaced  it once  bike  shop  said  it's  common  because  oil cooler  in front  of  it so  over heats  in hot weather