April 25, 2024, 09:13:03 PM

News:

Hotter & Cooler running cams

Started by thirdjld, August 23, 2021, 03:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thirdjld

I have a '09 Eglide with a SE255. It had a very good tune after they were put in 5 or 6 years ago. I've read here that they make the engine run hotter. I recently had a 1,000 mile day with no construction or traffic backups and you could smell the hot engine. What makes a cam run hot? I did some comparing and the 255's had a shorter duration than the S&S 570 or CR575.  Depending on runout I'll be going to 103 or 117 soon but definitely want a cooler running cam if there is one. Thanks, John
It is not the critic who counts;The credit goes to the man who is in the arena

thirdjld

FWIW, I will also be adding a fan assisted oil cooler when I upgrade. It has the head fans but I only use them in stopped/very slow traffic. It also has Crusher Mellows. Runs good, just hotter than I'm used to.
It is not the critic who counts;The credit goes to the man who is in the arena

Arseclown

Se255 cam tends to run hot in part due to short overlap. It has a very early intake close that works well with the low compression cvo twin cam 110ci engine (9.2:1). The more compression added (ie as in when this cam is used outside of the stock 110ci cvo engine), the more attention is required to tuning to keep the engine from heating excessively.

If you like what the se255 does without as much heat, the Andrews 48h cam runs very similar and is reasonably priced relative to others. It'll also rev out a bit more and be ok with increased compression to a point. It will still hit hard down low like the se255. If you don't have compression releases per 96ci twin cam engine (for easier starting), the s&s ezy start 583 would be another good choice. The ezy start feature works well

Don D

Combined parts run hot not cams, and that includes software, the tune. An early opening exhaust event can help reduce heat but also sends work out the pipe. Stinky smell after a run is burnt oil in the pipe.