April 26, 2024, 01:11:25 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Dyna fork seal question

Started by bigfoot5x, August 30, 2021, 08:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigfoot5x

Wife has a leaking fork seal on 2011 Dyna Super Glide Custom. What size is the nut on top of the fork? The manual also mentions a seal tool. Is this Harley specific or are the generic seal setting tools that will work?

smoserx1

Measure the nut with a ruler.  Many of them are 1 + 3/8 inches.  Motion Pro has sockets this size (and others).  Your seal tool will be based on the millimeter size of the fork tubes.  Any seal tool for the size will work (remember Showa makes the forks).  Chances are you can find a piece of PVC (or other material) pipe that will work.  Just take a new seal to a home improvement store and have a look at the plumbing/electrical stuff  I made one from a coupling and I believe it cost me 88 cents + tax.  Damn I am cheap.

bigfoot5x

Well damn! That's my kind of cheap! I finally remembered I bought some calipers a while back. I didn't realize the PVC would be hard enough to knock it in place or that a generic seal tool would work. I've never had much luck with seals. The forks are the 49 mm Showa forks as per shop manual. Also confirmed with my caliper. The nut is just a little smaller than the 36 mm nut I have for removing an axle on one of the bikes. Caliper measures it as a 34 mm. Thanks!

turboprop

Quote from: bigfoot5x on August 30, 2021, 08:38:21 AM
Wife has a leaking fork seal on 2011 Dyna Super Glide Custom. What size is the nut on top of the fork? The manual also mentions a seal tool. Is this Harley specific or are the generic seal setting tools that will work?

Many shade tree types have used pvc pipe to drive in fork seals. Couple different approaches. One is to use a somewhat short piece and use it as a slide hammer. Sort of. The other approach is to use a piece of pipe that will be long enough to go past the end of the fork tube and use a mallet to tap the seal in. Motion Pro makes good drivers for fork seals.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

les

I have a Georges Garage 660030.  I've used it many times.  Works great.

04 SE Deuce

I'd suggest using OEM Showa/Harley seals.  Seals typically don't take much to install so cheap improvise tools as mentioned should work.  I use Slickoleum light grease on the ID/lip of the seals.  If the end of the fork tubes look questionable use a decent gauge plastic bag over the end of the tube to protect the seal from damage.  Wet stone dress any dings on the tubes in the area the seal travels.

guido4198

PVC for me...using the "long piece" option. Examine the forks carefully for rough spots that can shorten the life of your new seals.

misfitJason

I use pvc as well.  Little tip....put electrical tape over the lip on the top of the fork tube before installing the new seal to it doesn't get cut or gouged
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

rol427

Before you disassemble your forks try SealMate. It worked for me.