April 25, 2024, 06:27:23 PM

News:

BAS or TSSM problem

Started by ViseGrips, September 07, 2021, 03:45:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ViseGrips

September 07, 2021, 03:45:10 AM Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 04:03:36 AM by ViseGrips
..it's been a while... been downsizing moving into a seniors apt. and selling my house along with some problems after both vaccines in April and July along with blood pressure problems...skipping forward to the last few days finally getting back on my feet...07 SG stored in new shed....bike got leaned over gently onto roll bar kick stand side yesterday,,  :embarrassed:  ,new HD battery installed...shows about 11 on volt meter...cranking it about 8 times 3 second intervals  no start,,,put a fully charged booster unit on it...cranks over like SOB...still no start..gauges working...so we put a gas soaked ''rag'' over the intake..it fires up and dies after the ''rag'' get evaporated ...so we go into changing the codes...ok..signal lights flash as should....but diagnoses won't come up and display anything/codes... get a flicker only from the tack and speedo ... volt meter doesn't move at all...stays on zero...it seems to us guys that perhaps the  injectors aren't getting a message .fuel pump is coming on with no related noise from a hole/hose leak in the tank..all fuses under both side covers are good..we also let it sit a few times to see if things would reset...no go....two friends with scanners are still  out vacationing on this long weekend.....any help/suggestions on this dilemma  would greatly be appreciated...this has been the worst riding season with health related issues since my handlebar addition back in 1973...I'm praying to St. Anthony to find my lost mind and sanity...  :banghead:   God grant me the serenity...  :wink:

road-dawgs1

I've seen where unplugging the fuel disconnect under the tank and then reinserting it would sometimes fix a situation where the bike cranks but doesn't fire. How long has the bike been sitting?
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

ViseGrips

it's been sitting since last Oct...1/2 tank of gas with seafoam as stabilizer..about 2 gallons of fresh high test added yesterday.... battery was taken out put on Junior tender inside...it was a 4 year old battery that only showed a little over 10 volts and dropping to below 8 on hitting the starter...thus new battery being installed..plugs look good.....never thought about the fuel line connection from tank though.....what would be the reason be to disconnect and reconnect the the fuel line at the tank ?..

ViseGrips

.....another thought on my part...the bike was stored using fluid film as a winter storage protection...the heads etc..etc..I always use a new clean ''rag'' to gently wipe the fluid film off all around on the heads and on the top of them like one shining shoes slowly per se ....could I perhaps have disturbed the fuel pump connector. under the tank..(.I just viewed this on u-tube as a way of purging the fuel lines in case there is crap in there )...and another vid on disconnecting the tank check valve...then a small screw driver to get a little bit of gas out of there in case that area might be plugged slightly...I'm probably at the point of grasping at straws rather than the KISS method.....there's probably only 2 1/2 months of riding season left here on Cape Breton Island before temps drop to too cold and I got of catching up to do ...  lol....we'll be taking another run at things in about an hr. from now..approx. 10 A.M....I'm hopefully thinking I won't have to call ''EDDY'''..Eddy matches ... :hyst:

ViseGrips

had another go at it this morning another 2 hrs....thinking now that the BAS relay sh*t the bed ??...if I'm not mistaken the TSSM can also be disabled ?...not sure.. we're checking things out on u-tube...got a friend 2 kms away with a scanner still out in his summer cottage for another week and another 2 friends coming back to Cape Breton from the Nova Scotia Valley area after a long weekend '' excursion'' this evening ...one has  a scanner...I'm sure we'll figure it out...thank you for your thoughts on the matter so far..but any advise will greatly be appreciated....BTW..it's good to see Panzer ''back in the saddle'' on site..on another note ; Bertha lost 50 lbs during this pandemic and the ''Thing'' with the hairy hands landed in ICU a couple of times from squeezing out the filters for the recycled beer...if it wasn't for the Canadian members sending food and beer God only knows what would have transpired..Preacher kept sending a steady supply of of his ''special blend'' to our  lovely Bertha :smilep: ...and the hairy handed ''Thing'' are forever grateful..as said above any advise or help on my problem would most gratefully be appreciated...Ride safe... :up:

kd

Off topic, but it's great to see you back here brother.  I was afraid you were doing an indefinite stretch in the Shed with the "Thing" and Bertha.  That'd be hard on an older fella.  I don't know how Preacher son manages.
KD

Breeze

I had the same symptoms on my '07 EGC last spring. I put some gas into a spray bottle and it would start, then quit. I kept at it and after a bit, it would run on its own. Throttle response was terrible, lag, spit, etc.  I dumped a bottle of Seafoam injector cleaner in and took it on several short rides and it got better as the engine warmed, but still lagged, I had to make starts with a lot of rpm and clutch slip. I was thinking of pulling the injectors, but it got better. I took it to some rural roads and kept the rpm's above 3,500 by using lower gears. It kept getting better. I dumped a whole can of Seafoam in with a fill-up and went for a ride. Better and better until it finally seemed like it ran better than I was used to. Soooo,was it the Seafoam, miles or a combination of them? I can't give a for sure answer. But I'm not as skeptical about Seafoam as I used to be.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

ViseGrips

September 08, 2021, 03:32:20 PM #7 Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 04:02:26 PM by ViseGrips
 I've always use Seafoam for years...even through riding season and during storage....good stuff...especially for the injectors.. Next step soon will be going the breathers to ground....I just can't understand why I never did it long ago...I'm the greatest procrastinator :embarrassed:.....My bike still won't fire up unless a gassy rag is placed over the intake and then it dies when the gas has evaporated ..We're starting to think it's the BAS or it's relay not allowing the injectors to do their thing...got a talented buddy/HD tech coming some evening this week or on the weekend with his scanner...he's currently working days at a used car dealership doing body work, mechanical work, and painting...got my fingers ,toes, eyes and nuts crossed on this...:wink:.. I'll post my findings/progress to help keep the activity rollin' onboard here.

... On another note;..our lovely Bertha  :smilep:  called me this morning..Bertha and the ''Thing'' with the hairy hands were invited by KD to his digs for the weekend...I'd sure like to be a fly on the wall for that.!!!. :wink:.

classicaper

Glad to see you re still on the go, that Steels Hill boy will get you fixed up. 

ViseGrips

..''K'' is still drying out from his rain soaked long weekend Valley trip with the big fellow from Membertou...lol......he's back to work ..but does have a scanner....perhaps this weekend...Say hello to my ol' buddy and your ''boss''... :wink:

ViseGrips

September 13, 2021, 04:17:13 AM #10 Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 04:26:04 AM by ViseGrips
..The bike is getting hauled over to Cabot Sports this morning to get scanned and dealt with  ....I'm getting too old and impatient and also been dealing with other things that have kept me off the bars since spring ...  there's about 7 or 8 weeks of comfortable riding season left here on Cape Breton Island to ride in the fall colours......I'll report the findings and the solution ...  :up:

ViseGrips

...findings ; the injectors were not working...but as said it would run with a gas soaked rag over the intake...solution; a more aggressive approach longer in duration with a misting spray bottle of gas. ..... Visegrips is tall in the saddle again and feeding my handle bar addition  :wink: :up: