April 25, 2024, 10:32:40 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

engine light on but no codes

Started by rhino, September 21, 2021, 08:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhino

2001flht carb- my check engine light came on and I pulled codes up on my trip meter-  all 10 codes showed clear. I changed my ignition module and my coil and still have a light. how do you clear the light to see if it comes back ? only thing I have'nt checked is my map sensor. any thoughts would be appreciated. the bike did spit and sputter when the light came on

rigidthumper

Prior to 2004, all you can pull with the speedo is speedo codes, not ECM codes.
Follow the procedure found here:
https://itstillruns.com/pull-engine-codes-harley-davidson-5556684.html
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

kd

If you have already gone through the procedure that Rigid has given and you still come up empty it may be as simple as being caused by a kickback at start-up once.  This or an engine temp sensor (which usually results in some type of bad running condition) will not produce a code in that vintage.  If it is as a result of a hot start engine kick back for example it will disappear after 50 cycles.  I believe disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it will also clear the light.  I usually waited it out to be sure it wasn't a serious concern.
KD

smoserx1

Quotethe bike did spit and sputter when the light came on

Next question, when the light came on did it stay on, or did it come on for a few seconds then go back off, and were you just riding down the road when it happened?  Same thing has happened to me.  The procedure that Rigidthumper posted is the correct one for diagnosing stored module codes and when this happened to me there were no stored codes.  It happened again about 6 months later and gradually over about a year it went from very occasionally to about every 5 minutes.  The module was failing big time; replacement completely took care of it.  What I believe it was doing was "rebooting" on the fly.  But you said you replaced the module.  Kickback will cause a code also (had that happen also...unrelated to the failing module) but that should cause a code and should happen when starting the bike.  In my case the kickback caused a  cam/crank position sensor sync error.  Being an 01 I'm not sure if you still have a cam sensor (the EFI models still had them that year) My bike is a 99.  Anyway on the data link connector pins 1 and 2 should be labeled and I just used a jumper wire with 2 small alligator clips.  Do that test next to see if you really have codes stored and don't wait because after 50 trips historic codes do go away unless it is a continuous problem.

rhino

thanks for the replies, I am waiting on a map sensor and that should cure the problem .