April 25, 2024, 07:46:35 PM

News:

Roadglide fairing not matching after crash

Started by CR3999, September 22, 2021, 04:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CR3999

I replaced the the fairing mounting bracket, both glove boxes and the right speaker box, which is the backbone of the fairing and the outer fairing. On the right side above the speaker and moving to the middle there is a half inch gap. Do you think the radio bracket is what's causing this? Or does the inner fairing need replacing. I hope it's not the inner.
Thank you guys for your help.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

CR3999

As soon as the sun comes up I'll shoot some. Thanks

Hossamania

When realigning pieces after a crash, little bends or tweeks at mounting points can create bigger gaps as the distance away from those points increases. It can be a matter of loosening everything, moving it all a bit as tightening, and some back and forth as you figure out where the issue or issues are.
How bad was the crash? What got bent? It may not just be a matter of replacing the inner fairing, but identifying the issue, maybe a spacer or two to align pieces.
I would start by loosening and aligning. Welcome to the world of bodywork!

kd

Look at the position of the heavy wiring harness conduit.  It may be out of place and cocking the outer when installed.  The procedure in the factory service manual (2.38 in my 2011) will walk you through a step by step (if you haven't yet tried it). You have engagement points along the sides and next to the radio mounting that must be properly engaged or it will look like what has happened to you.  Installing the fasteners is critical to be in the way manual says or the screws will strip out the holes.
KD

CR3999

Forgot to mention it's a 2017 it's a lot different than my 2010.
[attach=0]
Lets see if this works

CR3999

kd

Does the 2017 have the tabs along the side that the outer fairing fits inboard of like the 2010?  If so, it appears as though they may have slipped to the outside when it was slipped on.
KD

CR3999

Yeah there's a few. Not where the issue is though.

Hossamania

Did the bracket or brackets on that side that hold the inner get tweaked or pushed back in the crash?

CR3999

The only bracket that is inside the fairing which everything attaches to in some form is the radio bracket. I studied the bracket it appeared to be okay. It takes a lot of pressure at the speaker grill to mate the outer fairing. I'll loosen everything up again and see if it can be fixed. If not I'll replace the bracket. It just takes soo long to get parts these days. But that will have to wait, I'm going riding today.

72fl

Does the RoadGlide have the Rubber seal like all the other Touring Bikes that goes between inner and outer as I don't see it in the Photos ?