April 26, 2024, 10:44:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Moving oil cooler 12 ultra

Started by bobrk1, October 18, 2021, 03:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobrk1

Has  anyone  moved  the  oil cooler  on their  dresser? Its  in front  of  the  regulator  and  the  heat from  it causes it to  fail . I  was  thinking  about  trying  to  raise  it up to  get  it better  air flow  and  wondered  if  anyone  else  has  done  it and  how  they  did  it .

Coyote

12s had bad regulators from the factory.  It had nothing to do with their location.

PoorUB

Harley put oil coolers in front of the regulators on many years, just 2012 had significant issues. Figure it out, it isn't  the oil cooler location!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Norton Commando

Quote from: Coyote on October 18, 2021, 05:16:53 PM
12s had bad regulators from the factory.  It had nothing to do with their location.

That's correct--there were bad regulators on the '12s, but not all regulators were faulty.  There's a post somewhere on this site that identifies the faulty regulators by serial number.  I have a 2012 FLHTK and fortunately my regulator is not on the defective regulator list.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Buglet

Cycle Electric makes probably one of the best replacement regulators made in the USA, they recommend not placing them by a oil cooler. I guess either they are not good or they don't know what there talking about. Where are the Harley regulator made.

Appowner

The regulator generates heat of it's own.  And electronics (regulator) are subject to shorter life spans and burning out from too much heat.  So why would you hide a regulator behind a heat source to begin with?  Whether it can tolerate it or not.

PoorUB

No argument that it is a poor place for a regulator, or oil cooler, (which is it?), but there are hundreds of thousands of Harleys on the road and failed regulators is not high on the list of problems, except in 2012.

I would like to know what the temperature difference for the regulator is while running down the road, oil cooler and no oil cooler. I wouldn't be surprised if it is not that much difference.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Coyote

The stock oil cooler holds 1 ounce of oil. Seems more for show than anything else.

Thermodyne

Quote from: bobrk1 on October 18, 2021, 03:59:20 PM
Has  anyone  moved  the  oil cooler  on their  dresser? Its  in front  of  the  regulator  and  the  heat from  it causes it to  fail . I  was  thinking  about  trying  to  raise  it up to  get  it better  air flow  and  wondered  if  anyone  else  has  done  it and  how  they  did  it .

I didn't move it, just swapped it out for a Reefer cooler, and they sit lower than the oem.

Past that, Cycle Electrics Inc sells an upgraded regulator that is better positioned for air flow over the unit.  And its also a more efficient regulator.